How long does it take for an IMG to be a licensed doctor in the U.S?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawliet2008

Nobody mess with Adam We
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Um...I know this is probably an insanely basic question, but I can't seem to find a clear straight answer so I thought I'd just ask the experts.

I'm going to graduate on July 2013, hope to start residency by March 2014 (God Willing, ofcourse).

If everything works out according to plan, after how many years will I be an actual, real-live licensed doctor?

I'm talking no specialty training stuff, no bells and whistles...just your average, basic, licensed doctor.

I'm an IMG, so I'm planning on going for either IM or Peds, if that is at all relevant.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the state. Some states make no distinction between an IMG and a US MD, so you would just need to complete residency to be board eligible. Some states require an extra 1-3 years of residency before you are eligible to sit for your specialty board exam.

Depends on the state. Some states make no distinction between an IMG and a US MD, so you would just need to complete residency to be board eligible. Some states require an extra 1-3 years of residency before you are eligible to sit for your specialty board exam.

Okay, but now this raises a couple more questions.

1. Residency programs tend to be 1-2 years, right?

2. Is there a website somewhere that lists which states do not distinguish between IMGs and US MDs?

Your help is greatly appreciated, by the way. It's one of those days where I feel like I've been in school forever (I did my 4 year B.Sc from the Uni of Toronto, and now 5 years for Medicine), and just when you see the light at the end of a very, very long tunnel...someone mentions that it takes 3-8 additional years for specializing, and then the light goes **Poof!!**.

I miss the light.

Members don't see this ad :)

After you take all the Step exams you are fully licensed. However, you cannot take the specialty board exams unless you complete a residency. Theoretically, you can practice after you finish Step 3 (most people take it during the intern year) but practice opportunities are limited so the vast majority of people complete residency. Residency is anywhere from 3-7 years depending on the specialty.

Wrong.

As noted above, the length varies from 3-7 years for residency, with additional time required for fellowship.

2. Is there a website somewhere that lists which states do not distinguish between IMGs and US MDs?

To obtain a full and unrestricted license you must complete USMLE Steps 1-3. To take Step 3, there are state by state requirements for Graduate Medical Education. See here.

Your help is greatly appreciated, by the way. It's one of those days where I feel like I've been in school forever (I did my 4 year B.Sc from the Uni of Toronto, and now 5 years for Medicine), and just when you see the light at the end of a very, very long tunnel...someone mentions that it takes 3-8 additional years for specializing, and then the light goes **Poof!!**.

I miss the light.

I'm somewhat surprised that you did not realize that to practice medicine, a residency was essentiallu required.

Last edited:
So I see these requirements really vary by state.

Does anyone with experience know which state has the easiest path for an IMG to become fully licensed who has years and years of experience?

My father-in-law is a German Gastroenterologist. Just wondering if there is a somewhat acceptable (fast) path for someone who is willing to work in an undesirable location for a long time in exchange for becoming fully licensed in Gastro -- he has a greencard.

The issue here is that it's very strange for an experienced and proven (chair) doctor to redo residency and fellowship especially in medical systems that are extremely similar.

Wrong.

As noted above, the length varies from 3-7 years for residency, with additional time required for fellowship.

To obtain a full and unrestricted license you must complete USMLE Steps 1-3. To take Step 3, there are state by state requirements for Graduate Medical Education. See here.

I'm somewhat surprised that you did not realize that to practice medicine, a residency was essentiallu required.

Well, ofcourse I knew that Residency was required to practice medicine. That's like not knowing that legs are required in order to walk properly. I guess I was just in denial about how long programs were on average. I thought they were more like 1-3 years, and not 3-8. I completely love medicine, but I don't know if I would have sacrificied so much of my life if I knew then what I know now.

But God Knows better, and I am here for a reason. And who am I to argue with God, right?

Anyhoo, thank you everyone for your help. I assure you that it was greatly appreciated.

So you have 4,000 posts on SDN and graduate in 18 months but are unfamiliar with residency lengths, fundamental licensing requirements, and residency start dates? Yea, ok.

So you have 4,000 posts on SDN and graduate in 18 months but are unfamiliar with residency lengths, fundamental licensing requirements, and residency start dates? Yea, ok.

Dude, chill. I guess I was just in semi-denial about the actual length of most programs...but now I'm not. Get over it.

So I see these requirements really vary by state.

Does anyone with experience know which state has the easiest path for an IMG to become fully licensed who has years and years of experience?

My father-in-law is a German Gastroenterologist. Just wondering if there is a somewhat acceptable (fast) path for someone who is willing to work in an undesirable location for a long time in exchange for becoming fully licensed in Gastro -- he has a greencard.

The issue here is that it's very strange for an experienced and proven (chair) doctor to redo residency and fellowship especially in medical systems that are extremely similar.

That's how the medical system works in the western world, and not just in the US, for that matter - you have to complete a residency within that country in order to be licensed to practice within any particular specialty.

There is no "fast route" as far as I know for your father-in-law to become a practicing GI doc in less than the requisite time it takes. At a minimum, it would require 3 years of IM residency and 3 years of GI fellowship. In reality, GI is one of the most competitive medicine fellowships; often people do a Chief Resident year, a hospitalist year or two, or go (in some places) into a Hepatology fellowship in order to become more competitive for a GI fellowship. So it could very well end up becoming 3 years IM + (1 year chief, 1 year hepatology, 1 year hospitalist or more, or a combination of those) + 3 years of GI fellowship. It's a long path.

I dunno I thought I've read on here previously that (very rarely) the licensing boards will make an exception for a world class neurosurgeon or other similar world caliber individuals.

It would definitely explain the plots of many episodes of hospital TV shows, which I guess would be a strike against that theory..

I dunno I thought I've read on here previously that (very rarely) the licensing boards will make an exception for a world class neurosurgeon or other similar world caliber individuals.

It would definitely explain the plots of many episodes of hospital TV shows, which I guess would be a strike against that theory..

They do. Exceptions are made for International Scholars and they can get an institutional license - ie, only to practice at the one place that recruits them. These are few and far between and no one should assume that their family member will be "that guy".

That's pretty much the equivalent of showing up to the New England Patriots training camp and getting signed as the starting QB. It can theoretically happen but the odds are infinitesimal.

They do. Exceptions are made for International Scholars and they can get an institutional license - ie, only to practice at the one place that recruits them. These are few and far between and no one should assume that their family member will be "that guy".

And I think these positions are mainly teaching positions at academic institutions.

I guess an example of that might be Dr. Andreas Grundfeld (dont know if I spelled his name correctly) but he supposedly was a major pioneer inventing cardiac catheterization and he picked Emory in Atlanta..[ Like many great men he had tragedy, he died young in a plane crash]

But this thread to me and many is almost comic relief because:
Many think there is, but there is just No easy/fast track thru this medical saga!!

If both your parents are in medicine that might help.
But otherwise you must fight, sweat, age, (listen to guys tell you how easy it is), loss hair and youth like everyone else.
I wont even mention small debt (sarcasm):scared::xf: