Blitz2006

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2006
Status
Trying to plan out my 2011.

I see that my score release time frame for Step 2 CK/CS is Aug.17-Sept.14. Obviously a bit tight if I want to apply for 2012 match.

So lets assume worst case scenario...I get my scores on Sept.14...how many days will it take to upload the NBME Step 2 scores?

Is applying around Sept.20 too late?

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Trying to plan out my 2011.

I see that my score release time frame for Step 2 CK/CS is Aug.17-Sept.14. Obviously a bit tight if I want to apply for 2012 match.

So lets assume worst case scenario...I get my scores on Sept.14...how many days will it take to upload the NBME Step 2 scores?

Is applying around Sept.20 too late?
Don't wait for your scores to apply. And getting your score by 9/14 is plenty early.

Just submit your ERAS on 9/1 with everything you have and as many letters as early as possible. The CK/CS will be uploaded the same day its available to you, and programs will download it when they download new stuff from the system.

Its very dependent on your specialty but I applied EM, had a barely above average Step 1 score. Applied 9/1. Didn't get my step 2 until 10/6. It was uploaded into ERAS 10/6 and downloaded by all programs over the next 1-4 days. But don't wait to submit, most programs don't require Step 2 to be complete - its just a plus that will help if you do really well. I got 3 interviews prior to my Step 2 score being released.

OP
B

Blitz2006

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2006
Status
Hey, thx for that informative response.

Realistically, how many weeks does it take to get Step 2 scores? I read on the nbme site it is roughly by the 3rd wednesday...

If thats the case I should have my score on Sept.1...

Don't wait for your scores to apply. And getting your score by 9/14 is plenty early.

Just submit your ERAS on 9/1 with everything you have and as many letters as early as possible. The CK/CS will be uploaded the same day its available to you, and programs will download it when they download new stuff from the system.

Its very dependent on your specialty but I applied EM, had a barely above average Step 1 score. Applied 9/1. Didn't get my step 2 until 10/6. It was uploaded into ERAS 10/6 and downloaded by all programs over the next 1-4 days. But don't wait to submit, most programs don't require Step 2 to be complete - its just a plus that will help if you do really well. I got 3 interviews prior to my Step 2 score being released.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey, thx for that informative response.

Realistically, how many weeks does it take to get Step 2 scores? I read on the nbme site it is roughly by the 3rd wednesday...

If thats the case I should have my score on Sept.1...
In my experience most people get it on the first possible date. So generally 3 Wednesdays after the test date.

HOWEVER, there is a point in the year where they collect a bunch of scores and readjust the normal curve. If you take the test at that time you may wait longer because they collect scores for 2 months and release them all at once.

For example, last year I took my step 2 in the readjustment period (August 9th-mid Sept I think it was). Everyone who took it in this time received their scores on Oct 6th. So I took it August 18th but didn't get my score until Oct 6th.

It sounds like you may be planning on taking your test during this period.

OP
B

Blitz2006

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2006
Status
Thanks again,

I actually got a helpful response on the Step II forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=778326

So it looks like I should be fine?

Yeh, I'm planning on doing my Step 2 CS in the June 14-July 16 period, with a reporting period of Aug.17-Sept.14. So I should have my CS scores AT the latest by Sept.14, but according to Golding, they should come out Aug.17.

And for CK it apparently only takes 3 weeks to get results, so I should be fine as I hope to do CK end of July.

Correct me I'm wrong though.

In my experience most people get it on the first possible date. So generally 3 Wednesdays after the test date.

HOWEVER, there is a point in the year where they collect a bunch of scores and readjust the normal curve. If you take the test at that time you may wait longer because they collect scores for 2 months and release them all at once.

For example, last year I took my step 2 in the readjustment period (August 9th-mid Sept I think it was). Everyone who took it in this time received their scores on Oct 6th. So I took it August 18th but didn't get my score until Oct 6th.

It sounds like you may be planning on taking your test during this period.