How long does it take for schools to get letters from AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have submitted my secondaries to most schools early this month, but my school was only able to send out my committee letter package yesterday. Now it shows on AMCAS that the letter is already received.

I then went to check the application status of the schools that are waiting for the letter, but it seems that none of them has received the letter.

My question is, does AMCAS automatically send the letter to the schools or do the schools need to go download the letters themselves? Should I notify the schools by email that the letters are ready? Or am I just being too anxious as it might just take a day or two for the schools to update the status?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I have submitted my secondaries to most schools early this month, but my school was only able to send out my committee letter package yesterday. Now it shows on AMCAS that the letter is already received.

I then went to check the application status of the schools that are waiting for the letter, but it seems that none of them has received the letter.

My question is, does AMCAS automatically send the letter to the schools or do the schools need to go download the letters themselves? Should I notify the schools by email that the letters are ready? Or am I just being too anxious as it might just take a day or two for the schools to update the status?

Thanks guys!

The schools download them periodically, usually once a day or once a week. Just sit tight, they will get them automatically.

The schools download them periodically, usually once a day or once a week. Just sit tight, they will get them automatically.

Thanks for the clarification! Hopefully they don't do once a week... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the clarification! Hopefully they don't do once a week... :)

In addition, sometimes schools take even longer to log your LOR's, so even if they have them, it may not show up on your status page right away,which is really nerve-wracking.

Edit: oh, and make sure that you assign the LOR to all of the schools in AMCAS.

Related - if you add letters later, do you need to notify the schools that you've done so or will they automatically find them and add them to your file if they already have marked you complete?

I believe that they will automatically find them since they download letters periodically.