How long does it take for schools to get letters from AMCAS?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Doo, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Doo

Doo
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi guys, I have submitted my secondaries to most schools early this month, but my school was only able to send out my committee letter package yesterday. Now it shows on AMCAS that the letter is already received.

I then went to check the application status of the schools that are waiting for the letter, but it seems that none of them has received the letter.

My question is, does AMCAS automatically send the letter to the schools or do the schools need to go download the letters themselves? Should I notify the schools by email that the letters are ready? Or am I just being too anxious as it might just take a day or two for the schools to update the status?

Thanks guys!

2. mirimonster

mirimonster Class of 2017
    Rocket Scientist 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    The schools download them periodically, usually once a day or once a week. Just sit tight, they will get them automatically.

3. OP
    OP
    Doo

Doo
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the clarification! Hopefully they don't do once a week... :)

4. mirimonster

mirimonster Class of 2017
    Rocket Scientist 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    In addition, sometimes schools take even longer to log your LOR's, so even if they have them, it may not show up on your status page right away,which is really nerve-wracking.

Edit: oh, and make sure that you assign the LOR to all of the schools in AMCAS.

5. lovesfall

Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Related - if you add letters later, do you need to notify the schools that you've done so or will they automatically find them and add them to your file if they already have marked you complete?

6. Black Mamba24

Black Mamba24 Ball is Life
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I believe that they will automatically find them since they download letters periodically.