how long does it take for UPENN to review your application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinker bell

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long does it take for UPENN to review your application? (I mean from your experience) I just received a letter in the mail today said that my application is complete and they're reviewing it. Should I call and bug them? I'm not that excited about flying to Philly this time, but I want to get over with all of the interviews and hear good news from all schools at the same time, so I won't lose money on deposit.
Thanks
T

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same position that you are in. they received my application 2 weeks ago and it is "in review" at the moment. to me, it showes that they are working hard and that they are being very quick too... i called them and they said that i should be hearing in mid Dec.

good luck to you..

Comet

Mid Dec? My hairs will all turn grey by then. I'm too old and I can't wait that long. Thanks for your response
T

Members don't see this ad :)
UPENN UPENN UPENN...a mysterious school indeed.

I sent in my secondary June 20th, Got an interview invite August 20th, Interviewed there September 20th. Received the "file is complete and we are reviewing your file" October 20th.

The weird thing is that I interviewed there before my official DAT scores were sent there. So my app cycle at UPENN was a weird one, indeed.

DesiDentist

got an invite a week after they received my complete application including the secondary (back in september). they are usually pretty fast. good luck :)

~Qoo

I've noticed that UPENN is very fast if you apply early. They only have two office administrators that handle the mail (Ramona and Elsie), I'm assuming since of my billion phone calls and observations in their office I only talked/saw them. However, when the apps peak it is very hard for them to review all the apps immediately. That's why I feel so lucky I applied so early and submitted the secondary so fast. My couriousity led me to find the supplementary app online so I was ahead, while others were waiting for correspondence from them. I noticed that early August/September I could call them and someone would always pick up immediately and they were very courteous. Anyways, it doesn't help those now, but maybe someone else will read this for next year.

Qoo, i'm so nervous about UPENN right now. Man, I sure hope I get in. What do you think your chances are? My PENN interview was the best one. It's gonna be a tough decision between NOVA and PENN. YIKES!!!

DesiDentist

hey guys,

i sent in my secondary app in 3 weeks ago for upenn and i got an interview a week after for january 10th. hey desi im just curious to know what your first choice in. you seem to really know your stuff so i don't think you have to worry about hearing from the schools you applied too. best of luck to all of you

I sent in my secondary like a month ago. I downloaded it online and sent it in right away with my aadsas application. However, the stupid letters from ucd took awhile to get there. That's why my application only completed a week ago.
Desi, if Nova and UPENN cost the same, I would go to NOVA. It's more fun, new school, nice atmosphere, awesome weather. If I stay in Philly, what's the heck? I would go to Temple, it's cheaper and better patient pool.
UPENN does have the brand name.
T

Tinker Bell:

UPENN costs over 40,000 a year. NOVA is around 33,000 (if they increase tuition). However, PENN is gonna pay your interest for the four years that you go there, so it pretty much comes to the same. However, I am very ansy about this. If accepted to PENN I will probably fly down to philly again and make sure that I know the real deal. I tried real hard to observe, but I might have to just make sure.

Mitwa:

My first choice is my home school (U.Washington), however if I had to choose from the other three (Temple, NOVA, and PENN) I am tied with all three. I think it will come down between NOVA and PENN. MY biggest criteria is to live close to the school (walking distance) and there is no way I can live near Temple. I will have to live at least 10-15 miles away which I do not want to do, however I have to be broad minded and have to list the pro's/con's of each school. But I'll wait until I get all my letters (acceptance/rejections) before I do that.

Here is a cool link I found prior to going down to NOVA while I was researching NOVA. I came across PENN's homepage where Seymour Oliet (the charter dean of NOVA) is comparing PENN (he was a graduate from there) to NOVA.

http://www.dental.upenn.edu/125/alumni/memories_oliet.html

Dr. Oliet states:

"....The College of Dental Medicine at Nova Southeastern was literally a clone of the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine..."

I have no doubt NOVA will be just like PENN in 125 years...just kidding. On the serious note, it is interesting to compare one of the oldest schools to one of the newest schools. You have the Dean of the school comparing NOVA to his alma mater PENN.

DesiDentist

I sent in my app in June and Penn was the absolute first to offer me an interview. I would say it's tied for first on my list. The interview there was incredible, and I really got a good vibe from the interviewer. To anyone who also interviewed there, did they discuss Merit scholarships with you during the interview???

Desidentist,
I'm keeping my fingers crossed as i type right now. :) Out of the five interviews I had, UPenn was the best one for me also. Dr. Emling, my interviewer dropped me a hint at the end of the interview... but I don't know if that means anything. hehe.. you have to let me know when u get ur letter!!! This is my top choice!!!! I think I might call tomorrow.
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE WHO'S WAITING ON UPENN!!! LET US KNOW!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

~Qoo

Hi Qoo,

I had Dr. Robert Emling as well and chair of endodontics (i forgot his name). He gave me a hint as well at the end. He said while winking, "Hope to see you again soon." I walked down with them to the admissions office joking with both dentists and we came to the admissions office and i was snagging a couple of the "PENN is #1" key chains and the endodontics chair tapped my shoulder and said, "See we treat our students right here, I assure you that you will be treated right here!"

My interview was in the afternoon while everyone else had theirs after the orientation in the morning. I was nervous. However, Dr. Emling explained that him and Corky thought after reading my responses to the supplementary that they should interview me after lunch so they won't have any time limits. He said, "Corky and I thought your application was very interesting, hence we wanted to really get to know you, hence we interviewed you later." I was relieved. My interview was around 1 hour 15 minutes long.

I'm interested to know what your hint was that Dr. Emling gave ya. I loved having him. I'm glad that you have high regards for PENN as well. It is a very unique school, indeed.

A word of caution. Corky does not want anyone calling the office for status checks until December 9th. She specifically told everyone at the interview this and she reiterated this in a response to my email. She said that you should let the mail come before you pick up the phone.

Regards,

DesiDentist

Hi Desidentist,

My interview was a little bit over an hour with only Dr. Emling. At the end, he said to me that he hopes to see me again and that the school would give my application a strong consideration for the scholarship.

As fas as texas schools, i'm favoring Baylor right now. I got a better vibe from the students i met. the school just invested on the sim labs for d2, and they have a great caferteria :D

I dunno yet if I would choose penn over baylor... because of the cost and my family being in texas. i love philly and would like to venture for the next 4 years also... so it's gonna be a really tough decision...

BUT i'll wait til i get my acceptance first haha... no point of thinking all about this when i dont even have an acceptance.

GOOD LUCK again.

~Qoo