How long does it take to become a pediatrician in Australia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akali

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out this information by Googling and it doesn't seem to be very clear and some information even seems conflicting.

I've met this person online who claims he's an Australian pediatrician at 24-years-old. Is this possible? In the U.S. you need high school, then an undergraduate degree (usually 4 years), + 4 years of medical school, + 3 years of residency training so most 24-year-olds are still in medical school and haven't even started their pediatric postgraduate training.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm trying to find out this information by Googling and it doesn't seem to be very clear and some information even seems conflicting.

I've met this person online who claims he's an Australian pediatrician at 24-years-old. Is this possible? In the U.S. you need high school, then an undergraduate degree (usually 4 years), + 4 years of medical school, + 4 years of residency training so most 24-year-olds are still in medical school and haven't even started their pediatric postgraduate training.
Highly doubtful he is a consultant. Timeline wouldn't work. But if he did a 5-6year undergrad degree in medicine starting at 17, and managed to get a PHO position PGY2, he could be an unaccredited registrar paediatrician.

Highly doubtful he is a consultant. Timeline wouldn't work. But if he did a 5-6year undergrad degree in medicine starting at 17, and managed to get a PHO position PGY2, he could be an unaccredited registrar paediatrician.

Whats the difference between unaccredited registrar and accredited ?

Also, @Akali not to nitpick but just FYI in the U.S. pediatrics is a 3 year residency not 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've met this person online who claims he's an Australian pediatrician at 24-years-old. Is this possible? In the U.S. you need high school, then an undergraduate degree (usually 4 years), + 4 years of medical school, + 4 years of residency training so most 24-year-olds are still in medical school and haven't even started their pediatric postgraduate training.

Paediatrics & Child Health