• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

How long does it take to complete clinical research w/ pub?

indya

Dec 10, 2009
New Jersey
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hey,
    I was wondering how long it usually takes to complete clinical research with a publication. I have been invited to do some this summer with a physician who is really active in clinical research, and I was wondering if you think I could get one publication by the end of the summer. Note: I have little to do this summer as it will be the summer before college, so I can devote a lot of time to this. The research would be in general surgery, probably just chart reviews.

MSTPlease

7+ Year Member
    Oct 11, 2009
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      "Clinical Research" is a really broad field, and so it's impossible to really give you an answer. For example, one summer I was doing data analysis for a clinical trial that had just completed. It was essentially a retrospective cohort study looking at risks that existed pre trial and looking to see what exposures best predicted disease since the drug used in the trial was useless. I got 2 papers out of that. The trial itself lasted several years, so the one paper about whether or not the drug was effective took 6 years to get out from when the study started, let alone when the planning begun.

bd4727

10+ Year Member
      Jul 17, 2008
      USA
      1. Attending Physician
        As the above poster said, it depends on what you are doing. "Chart reviews" could mean a number of things: if it is going to be a case-series, then that can be done very quickly (like 1 month). If you are doing some sort of retrospective case/control or cohort analysis, that can also be done fairly quickly but will take a bit more time, and you might have to get an IRB approval. If you are getting involved in a project that is ongoing (either a natural history study or an interventional study), these things are usually on the order of years from the time the idea is conceived until the paper is submitted.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.