How long does it take to study for anatomy test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sartre79

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have our second exam on next Monday (10/29). I know some of the material OK (leg and abdomen), but haven't even touched the Pelvis. I'm having troubles keeping up with the material (and not b/c I'm not trying...I am a nontrad with a nonscience background so I study far more than a lot of people). Is there hope of being able to pass this thing/prepare by next Monday? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose it depends on how much material is covered on your exam... At my school the body is basically split into three blocks each with a corresponding exam. I have my exam next Friday (11/2), and already I would say I know "a little bit about everything." I also have an exam next Monday in another class thought, so I can't put all of my studying time towards anatomy until thats over with. You really have to compare it to your first exam to see what you need to do, but if I was in your shoes and only knew a little bit about the leg and pelvis then I may feel a little behind.

No, I have the leg down pretty well (at least I can breeze through the Netter flash cards...need to work on a few details tonight about what passes through where etc.) I am very familiar with the abdomen...or at least I have all the arteries down. As for the perineum/pelvis....I just know a few things here or there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can at least get to the point where you can pass. I tried to stay on top of things with anatomy but after the first exam, I started slacking off. I definitely did more studying during the weekend before the test than I would have liked, but it was doable. If you already have the leg down, that's good. Abdomen isn't too bad. Pelvis sucks, but if you can get the abdomen and leg completely done by this weekend and then only do the pelvis on Saturday and Sunday, I bet you can do it.

I have my exam on the thorax, abdomen, and pelvis on monday. I must say that the Pelvis is substantially more complex than the thorax and abdomen, though I'd imagine you can do it.

Take your netters and notes to lab and spend all weekend there. Seriously...for my last practical me and my lab partners pretty much knocked it out in 2 days using that method. We went into lab around 2 or 3 in the afternoon...took an hour break to eat, stayed till about 1 am, repeated same thing the next day and we all ended up passing. It sucks but its really effective.

I think it's easier to learn the material in Netter first, be able to pick stuff out from the ideal drawings, then go to lab. The cadaver will give you a better 3D understanding, but it'll save you a lot of trouble to first make sure you know where stuff should be before you go and pick it out of the not as clean, and slightly variable cadavers.

you can watch some disection videos and use yocothi everthing will be fine...time is enough for lower part,make a schedule go ahead! good luck!

Even though this is an old thread...To answer the question, it totally depends on your study strategy and how well you utilize your time. I suggest you take a look at Acland's DVD of bodily dissections- basically a Rohen on video with a guide to point out everything. I learned most of the perineum and pelvic area through those dissection DVDs. Granted its a little bit dry, but so is Anatomy. If you open up your Netter along with Rohen and go through your performance objectives, you could probably learn enough of the perineum to be able to add on a few, but significant points on your exam.

What about for Head and Neck????:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Head and neck went surprisingly well for me and I only used BRS Anatomy for conceptual stuff and went through 3 bodies to prepare for the practical. Never picked up Moore's or Grant's or Netter.

Our head and neck prof is horrible too....thick austrian accent, grumpy, cannot teach at all.

The university of Michigan Anatomy website is a good resource. I mainly used their dissection videos and sample exams (both written and practicals) and it really helped a lot. I barely read the textbook, but Netter's Atlas was better (at least for me) for the practicals vs studying each and every cadaver in the lab.

If your school has a site license, Netanatomy.com has a pretty good tutorial.

~5 days (we have 3 exams)

The university of Michigan Anatomy website is a good resource. I mainly used their dissection videos and sample exams (both written and practicals) and it really helped a lot. I barely read the textbook, but Netter's Atlas was better (at least for me) for the practicals vs studying each and every cadaver in the lab.

Yeah I loved netanatomy. Unfortunately, there was no head and neck on it. I think there will be next year though.

How are anatomy tests usually given?

Are they typically multiple choice or do you have to know all the names?

Thanks

Thanks

Anatomy tests generally have a written and practical part. The written part is almost multiple choice (and my sympathy for those unfortunate souls who have essay-style/short answer written tests). The practical part can either be MC or written. Some schools give a list from 15-20 structures (only helpful to orient your choices and to maybe figure out if its a nerve,artery, or vein). Others (like mine) give you some sheets with lines and tell you to ID the tags as you rotate around.

Yes you do have to know all the names. You don't have to be a spelling nazi but you better be able to communicate the fact that you what's a thyrocricoid muscle vs. a cricoarytenoid muscle.

(and my sympathy for those unfortunate souls who have essay-style/short answer written tests)

Our anatomy tests are entirely short answer...pain is weakness leaving the body

+a million on the umich site

I only used the written practice exams but some of those questions appeared on my actual exams. Plus, since they explain all of the wrong answers you really can learn stuff just by taking the exams.

Also highly recommend netter flash cards (even if you don't buy the atlas)

Thanks

For us: written is MC, practical is a blank sheet of paper. They aren't picky about spelling, but they often are looking for some very specific detail rather than just the name of something.

Sigh. Head and Neck test is Wednesday, and all I've been doing for three days is preparing for the test. I think I'm almost done studying, and I just want to get it over with.