how long does it usually take after graduation to become a licensed pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steveysmith54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand this differs a LOT.

But, lets say in California it is required to have 1500 hours to apply for licensure as well as passed NAPLEX+CPJE.

Some of these hours can be completed by school rotations, right?

So, on average how many month does one work as a intern following graduation?

If one takes the exams right after graduation, how many month till results are received? Plus registration process?

Just ball park numbers, please....

thanks?

Members don't see this ad.

But, lets say in California it is required to have 1500 hours to apply for licensure as well as passed NAPLEX+CPJE.

If one takes the exams right after graduation, how many month till results are received? Plus registration process?

thanks?

Move this to the pharmacy forum?

im from NC and I know some friends who work about 4 months after graduating...I don't know if it's different where you are from...

thanks?

You usually have your intern hours complete by the time you have graduated unless you've never worked outside your school rotations. If that is the case, your experience is very, very narrow & you're not likely a very good job candidate.

When everything is working properly, it takes a few months (6-8 weeks) from the time you take your exams to the time you get your results.

If you have a job which will hire you on as a pharmacist as soon as you get your #, then the very day you are informed you passed, you're now a licensed pharmacist & get paid as such.