How long for a rural hospital elective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fennek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings SDNers!

i'm a 4th year student in a 5 year programme. i'll be having my electives in the first half of 2008, and have about 4 months to plan my time around. i've secured a place in a rural hospital in Kenya. it has about 200 or so beds, and is located in a town that's in the Central Highlands. since they only take in 4 international students at any time, i'm the only student from my school.

i'm currently planning to spend 8 weeks there, but now i'm wondering if it's too long (especially if my peers aren't there to keep me company!). i just wanna have a taste of what rural medicine is like, and possibly assist in some of the surgeries. thereafter, i'll probably do some travelling for about 3 weeks. so.. that'll add up to 11 weeks abroad! while that kinda appeals to the adventurous spirit in me, i'm having second thoughts, being a city boy through and through.

anyone here did an elective in a rural hospital? how long did you spend there? any personal stories would be appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

hi fennek im from Kenya and id like to encourage you that rural kenya aint so rural especially where you are going as for being the only one from your school there are 3 other international students all with the same fears as you so youll not be alone. The experience you will get out of this is going to be great trust me i study in Kenya and ill say we get alot of hands on exposure and its great. Hope this helps and if you visit Nairobi drop a hello thats where i live