How Long for Verification?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by SM-UCLA tech, Oct 15, 2002.

1. SM-UCLA tech

SM-UCLA tech CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1

I just submitted my primary application to AACOMAS last friday the 11th. And I've been rushing to send out all of my transcripts.
    Well.....after paying all of the money....I went to check my application status on the web page and saw that my transcripts had been received back in August !!!! I guess I sent my transcripts over the summer in case I wanted to go Osteopathic and forgot !!!!!..........

So my question now is......... How long do you think it will take to get my application verified and sent to the schools I'm applying to at this point in the process?

The main reason I ask is two-fold..... How late is this in the application process?

And..... I was waiting to send my LOR's until I can get one from a D.O. Now I'm wondering if I should just send my letter's and add the D.O. one later when I get it.

Thanks for you help !!!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DocGeorge7

Resident [Any Field]
    When I applied last year it took about 3-4 weeks. I just turned this years application in two weeks ago and they still have not been sent. My guess is that it will probally take 3-4 weeks.

4. abw

abw Senior Member

Hey! it could be any amount of time. I'm probably the exception here, but mine got processed within 3 days. (it helped that i called them to ask about a transcript problem) Good Luck!

5. NUgirl

NUgirl Senior Member

My primary application took about 3 and a half weeks to process (that was in June). But once it was processed and sent, I received secondaries within a week or so.

This isn't too late in the process, however it isn't early either. Most schools interview thru April or even later, but keep in mind that as time goes on you are competing for fewer spots. I'm sure as long as you're competative you'll be fine though! Just make certain you send in your secondaries ASAP!

I would send out your recs now. Don't wait for the DO letter. The medical schools don't have to receive everything at the same time. Send everything you have NOW so that you have less worries later.

Well, good luck! :)

6. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!

Why would you be sending an LOR before you have even found out if the school is offering you a secondary? You do not send LORs to AACOMAS, they will do nothing with them or send them back. Unless you are applying to a school that lets you send LOR before you get a request for secondary, then you shouldn't be sending them out yet.

7. SM-UCLA tech

Why would I send my LOR's to AACOMAS?

I would send them to the schools I'm applying to. I don't know about you, but I sent them out to every school I applied to for allopathic medicine. Each school should start a file. I have not had a problem with any school so far by sending in my LOR's before I received a secondary.

I guess I am just going to wait another week or so before I send them out. I should have a letter from a D.O. completed by then. And it seems like AACOMAS will take a few weeks to process my primary.

Thank you everyone for your help! :)

8. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!

I don't know about the MD school but you will find that some of the DO schools are going to a stricter prescreenig process and they don't want you to send them anything until they have sent you a secondary request. Just in the last two years I have noticed the requirements are getting tougher on some of the schools. Before, most schools used to send secondaries to everyone. Many schools are following suit from those that have been prescreening for the last several years. Can you imagine receiving 4000 LOR's for students when you are going to end up rejecting 1/2 of them just from the prescreening?? I would check with each DO school before you send them out to make sure that the schools will take them. There are only 20 schools so email and phone calls wouldn't take that long.

FYI-- this is directly from TUCOM's website: "DO NOT COMPLETE AND SUBMIT A SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION UNLESS ADVISED BY MAIL THAT YOU ARE ELIGIBLE. Supplemental Applications submitted by candidates prior to notification of eligibility will not be processed. Should a candidate's eligibility be granted subsequent to sending in a supplemental application, such a candidate will be required to resubmit the application with an additional application fee. The application fee is not refundable under any circumstance." The LOR's are part of the secondary application so this is one school that won't take anything from unless they requested it.

9. SM-UCLA tech

Ok....thanks maysqrd....

I only applied to seven osteopathic schools....so it should be very easy to find out.