How long have you known that there are two types of physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When did you find out that there are two different kinds of physicians?

• As an adult.

Votes: 93 54.7%
  • As a teenager

Votes: 49 28.8%
  • As an adolescent.

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Since child.

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I was delivered by a DO and became immediately upset when I found out I wasn't delivered by a MD.

Votes: 13 7.6%

• Total voters

ILikeDrugs

pre-attending
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my first year of college, I remember my anatomy & physio teacher, who I knew was a physician, saying that he was "DO", and I just assumed that he was also some sort of chiropractor as well. It always stuck me as odd that he didn't choose to have MD behind his name and instead went with his chiropractic letters. I never gave it a second thought after that.

I just realized after responding to the "how did you find sdn" thread that it wasn't until I found this site did I find about about the whole MD and DO thing. I saw pre- "allopathic" and "osteopathic" and thought, "What the **** is allopathic and osteopathic?" This was about 3 years. I was about 24 then. So I was an adult when I found out. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I found out after I went to my pediatrician (of the past 17 years) for my last physical, during the summer before freshman year. I saw a degree framed on the wall that said DO on it, so I went home and Googled it. :oops:

inb4 "There are two types of physicians?"

Last edited:
During my first year of college, I remember my anatomy & physio teacher, who I knew was a physician, saying that he was "DO", and I just assumed that he was also some sort of chiropractor as well. It always stuck me as odd that he didn't choose to have MD behind his name and instead went with his chiropractic letters. I never gave it a second thought after that.

I just realized after responding to the "how did you find sdn" thread that it wasn't until I found this site did I find about about the whole MD and DO thing. I saw pre- "allopathic" and "osteopathic" and thought, "What the **** is allopathic and osteopathic?" This was about 3 years. I was about 24 then. So I was an adult when I found out. :D

I found out during college during a meeting with a prehealth adviser, so I guess I was an "adult" too (if you want to call college kids that).

Members don't see this ad :)

Found out last year at my prehealth orientation session. I never paid attention. I saw some docs in the hospital with D.O. instead of M.D. but like u, i never dug into what it meant or what the difference was. Even now for me the only difference is that it is easier to get into D.O and harder for D.O to get an M.D. residency, and that knowledgeable patients might be bias when looking for a PCP ( Im guilty of that even though I should know better)

First heard about it from one of my seminar classes I took at the beginning of college.

I didn't know about DOs until I came to SDN - I guess it's because the DO title isn't as common in Canada.

I was about 16 or 17, I think. I was dating a college boy who was a pre-med and planned on becoming a DO. He explained the difference to me.

There really is only one type of physician, IMO. All this DO and MD differentiation is pure bull!

When my pre-med advisor told me I should consider DO because I had a lower GPA. It hurt my feelings.

Members don't see this ad :)
The real two types of physicians are good ones and bad ones.

When I first logged onto SDN about a year ago lol

Probably about a year and half ago, two years tops. I think it was at an AMSA meeting.

2 years ago working as an EMT at the emergency room, heard a patient ask the nurse if the doctor was in, she stated "no sorry, the doctor isn't in right now, but the DO is." lol.

^ not trolling. its a true story, and I got more if you want to hear them.

Nah brah, DO is the title you get after becoming a podiatrist.
I've never seen such IGNORANCE. DO's are Doctors of Optometry!! They're the people who answer the phone when you call to get your contact lens prescription mailed to you.

Why is there a choice for adolescent and then a choice for teenager in the poll?

Anyway, I shadowed a doctor in high school who was a DO. I didn't know what it was at the time and looked it up.

Let's hear em, G.

ok "g", I was told by the ER surgeon I was talking too that he "looks down" upon DO's, and said that he knows that in the back of his mind that they couldn't make it to be an MD.

A nurse told a patient the "DO will be in to check you first, since the doctor is a little delayed at the moment."

I could keep going, but I guess this is good for now. G.

wait, you mean there are 2 different kinds of physicians?

I thought a DO was a naturopath. We don't have any DO programs up in Canada.

I thought a DO was a naturopath. We don't have any DO programs up in Canada.

lol guys... premed people in the US should know that physicians can either be MDs or DOs...

The DO degree was founded in the late 1890s to the early 1900s in response to the changing 'medical marketplace' of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Although osteopathy had been around for a while already, it had not developed into a respected degree until licensing and professionalization procedures were inacted. The main CAM (complementary and alternative medicine) that used to be popular was homeopathy (about 10% of total physicians). However, its theories have been utterly denigrated by allopathic/orthodox medicine. Osteopathy, however, had accommodated and adapted to the regulation and licensing laws required by the states. One could attribute the rise in osteopathy in US medical history due to the prevalence of chronic illnesses, persistence of underserved popuations, misalignment of subjective symptoms and rigid diagnostic categories in orthodox medicine, and unresolved and unpopular tensions in orthodox medicine vs. profit, and professional independence vs. healthcare reform.

Osteopathy survived because it accommodated and adapted to the regulation and licensing laws. That is why the curricula for DO is very similar to MD plans; however, the DO degree plans have an emphasis on the MSS in health and disease. The two are almost identical. DOs aren't massage therapists ya'll. There are MASSAGE THERAPISTS for that. DOs also tend to command a more extensive and deeper knowledge of the human anatomy than MDs.

The reason DO arose was due tot he disillusionment of physicians and patients with the MD in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and the medicalization of the 20th century.

Simply assuming that DOs are beneath MDs is insulting and reveals ignorance. This misconception is utterly perpetuated by many MDs who do not have the credibility to say their MD degree is superior to that of DOs. Maybe if they underwent DO school and then formed their opinion would they be more credible.

I know some of you guys are just joking, but there are some out there who aren't. And it's freaking me out the amount of knowledge some pre-medical students have about the history of their profession and about other healthcare fields.

IME, there's a far bigger split between surgeons and internal med guys than there is between DO and MD in practice. The MD/DO line is really such a minor issue once you're out of med school that it makes little difference. Specialties' personality types, however, tend to divide them from what I have observed.

IME, there's a far bigger split between surgeons and internal med guys than there is between DO and MD in practice. The MD/DO line is really such a minor issue once you're out of med school that it makes little difference. Specialties' personality types, however, tend to divide them from what I have observed.

Honestly, my first thought was along this line too when I read the thread title, I didn't even think about DO/MD. I just don't understand how so many people here seem to still think making fun of DOs is funny... I've been on here for like 2 years and it's getting pretty old.

Honestly, my first thought was along this line too when I read the thread title, I didn't even think about DO/MD. I just don't understand how so many people here seem to still think making fun of DOs is funny... I've been on here for like 2 years and it's getting pretty old.

No one is makes fun of them to their face…..people make fun of them behind their backs like adults. Ive worked as an EMT for 2 years at a hospital, and my experience has been that DO's are looked down upon by other doctors and even some nurses, kind of like how illegal immigrants are by us. I would rather be in a position where I can make fun of other people, as a physician, than be made fun of.

No one is makes fun of them to their face…..people make fun of them behind their backs like adults. Ive worked as an EMT for 2 years at a hospital, and my experience has been that DO's are looked down upon by other doctors and even some nurses, kind of like how illegal immigrants are by us. I would rather be in a position where I can make fun of other people, as a physician, than be made fun of.

do you have a mouse in your pocket?

I don't make fun of illegal immigrants.

The chief of the ER at our hospital is a DO...they must look down upon him too and nurses tell patients that the Dr. is unable to see them but a DO is available. Clown.

The chief of the ER at our hospital is a DO...they must look down upon him too and nurses tell patients that the Dr. is unable to see them but a DO is available. Clown.

That's been my experience at my hospital, maybe its different at yours. Maybe they wait till he leaves.

Because it's fun to do bad things.

[youtube]Rmo0VdPpkDA[/youtube]

I must say I spit out my cereal/milk while reading this post. EL OH EL!

Drama-queen up in here. Stop making up stories in your head. No one was poking fun at anyone. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

At the hospital I work at, everybody makes fun of one endocrinologist, but it's because he's not very nice and hence is asking for it. His balding pattern resembles the letter "M" but people only point it out because he's an ass anyway.

Maybe you should evaluate your own faults before considering the possibility of making fun of others. Just sayin'. Nobody's perfect and people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I found about it after I joined SDN. *gasp* Seriously though, nobody told me before.

It's all medias fault. If we had House, D.O. instead of M.D. then everybody would be better informed. :D

I heard about the different degrees as a freshman in college. I brought it up in a geography class (of all things), and one of my classmates (who was married to an MD) basically said that DOs were lesser doctors to the whole class.

But, one of my best friends from college is currently going to a DO school, and I have no doubt that she will become a better physician than some other people from my college who are attending MD schools.

I don't think I ever realized there were two different ones until I came to SDN. Philly seems to have a pretty significant DO population (probably because of PCOM) and they are often in practices with MDs. I have been treated by DOs both prior to and after I started paying attention to the letters, including two different surgeries at the hands of DOs, and the hospital where I have worked for nearly 5 years has a significant percentage of DOs on the medical staff. I really doubt that anyone here bashing them has ever actually been cared for by both types of doctors. There's really no distinguishable difference in how most of them practice.

Last edited:
Maximum overtroll, eh?