How long is psych residency with a child and adolescent fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychRN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering...

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on whether or not you start your child fellowship in lieu of or after 4th year--CAP is an additional 2 yrs whether you start it as a PGY-4 or PGY-5, so you're looking at 5-6 yrs total.

I'm planning on staying for my 4th year, but that has more to do with maternity leave as a PGY-3 than with an organic desire to stay--I feel ready to start next July, but c'est la vie!

do most people apply into CAP direclty from medschool? or can most do it in residency? in first year,second? when

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't apply for child/adolescent psych until you're in residenty...either 3rd year for your fourth and fifth, or in your fourth year for a two-year fellowship.

You can, however, apply for triple board out of med school, which is a residency in psychiatry, child psych, and peds.

You can't apply for child/adolescent psych until you're in residenty...either 3rd year for your fourth and fifth, or in your fourth year for a two-year fellowship.

You can, however, apply for triple board out of med school, which is a residency in psychiatry, child psych, and peds.

Does this take only 4 yrs and does that cover adolescents?

Pretty sure it's five yrs, & yeah, you'll be trained in all peeps under 18. I know Hawaii has a triple board program--others? You will work like a dog in residency... and likely will practice exclusively child psych when you graduate, as you could easily triple what you'd make in a pediatric med practice. You'd have a much better quality of life going for a psych residency and a child & adolescent fellowship (actually it's considered a residency too, for reasons I'm unclear about, but whatever--you're double boarded in general & CAP upon finishing).

6 years by normal route...4 years general psychiatry residency and two additional fellowship years.

If you are in a residency with a child fellowship, they'll forego the final year and allow you to start the child/adolescent fellowship. As such, it will take five years to complete.

so you can only start the fellowship as a 4th year if the fellowship is at the same institution as your residency? if there isn't one at your residency program, you have to start it as your 5th year? that makes a big difference to me ....

so you can only start the fellowship as a 4th year if the fellowship is at the same institution as your residency? if there isn't one at your residency program, you have to start it as your 5th year? that makes a big difference to me ....

See the new post in the Psychiatry FAQ thread.

It is a significant difference...a year of missing an attending salary. When you compare 50k to 150k, we're talking 100k lost.

Actually, it doesn't matter if your home institution has a CAP residency or not--you can apply & start as a PGY-4 to any CAP residency. Of course, the home-field advantage is nice, but not necessary.

Actually, it doesn't matter if your home institution has a CAP residency or not--you can apply & start as a PGY-4 to any CAP residency. Of course, the home-field advantage is nice, but not necessary.

True, but the problem with this is that if your home residency program didn't have your residency set up for you to be done with your core rotations by the end of third year, you can't leave. Hence the advantage and practicality of applying to CAP fellowships at your home institution.

Such is the case in my residency program. You simply can't leave early. You wouldn't be done with your core rotations such that you could leave without having to spend extra time.

Check into this if you're interested in applying to CAP fellowships out of your home institution that doesn't have a child fellowship.

Good point Sazi--some residencies do push CL, Gero, Neuro, Child stuff to the PGY-4 year (not ours though). When I was considering starting as a PGY 3.75 (d/t missing some time this year for maternity leave), at least one PD I spoke with was willing to consider having the CAP fellowship "host" some of my uncompleted PGY-3 reqs--but that's dicey, and easy enough to accomodate with additional outpt cases, but hard to stuff a CL rotation into a child residency!

True, but the problem with this is that if your home residency program didn't have your residency set up for you to be done with your core rotations by the end of third year, you can't leave. Hence the advantage and practicality of applying to CAP fellowships at your home institution.

well im happy i read this thread ... because i wasn't aware of that. now i actually have a legitimate question to ask during residency interviews!

well im happy i read this thread ... because i wasn't aware of that. now i actually have a legitimate question to ask during residency interviews!

There are some programs that will let you do an "intergrated" adult/child residency in 5 years. It's basically the same thing as staying at your adult program for the fellowship except they know early on that you're going to do child and structure your program so you meet all requirements in 5....and without the hassale of re-applying! The one's I'm aware of are Pitt, Brown, U.Mass., and Yale-New Haven (expect Yale is actually 6 years and is intended for research training). I'm not sure about all the programs, but i know some will let you do two years of child before finishing your adult training. BUT, of course, this is all done at the same program....