How Long is Your Rank List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RickKane

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to the NRMP match data, size does matter to some extent. I am just curious long everybodies rank list ended up being. I think it might be helpful for next years applicant class to see approximately how the number of interviews correlates rank list length.

As for me, I canceled the last half of my gas interviews (still had a couple TY)over Christmas break and ended up with...

7 interviews(gas)
11 ranks

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

13 interviews for anesthesia
16 ranks (including programs with both advanced and categorical slots)

11 iv for anesthesia
14 adv and cat ranks

Members don't see this ad :)
13 anesthesia interviews (waaaaay too many for any future applicants out there reading this)

17 (I think...) ranks.

I figured that even though there were a few places on my list that I really didn't want to go to, I'd rather go there than Scramble. So I ranked every place I interviewed at.

10 gas programs got ranked and I am in the couples match.
I had to rank a 5 prelim medicine programs with four supplemental lists.
Pain in the butt.

Applied to 20 gas programs (Way to many). Interviewed at 10 and canceled the rest.

interviewed at 12 anesthesia programs and 4 TY, ended up with a total of 20 on the rank list including the TYs tacked on at the end

10 interviews (anes), 3 TY.
Didn't rank 4 programs, but rank list is still 7 long with all the combos.

ranking 12 anesthesia programs, 2 TYs, 1 prelim. This left me with 19 ranked, after one accounts for categorical and advanced spots.

13 Gas Interviews ( I ended up cancelling my 14th-Brigham due to being ill/exhausted)(I ranked all 13 because the thought of scramble scares me)
17 Adv/Cat ranked with 3 TY on primary rank list=20
supplemental list= 9 (3TY and 6prelim med)
MATCHING=PRICELESS

Just looking at the posts on this thread so far, I think the 10 interview "gold standard" to match is not only complete overkill but a total myth.

According to the NMRP data from 2007:

An MD applicant with a total rank list of 7+ (including Cat and Adv) has a 98.7% chance of matching. (758/768)

A DO/FMG with 7+(Cat and Adv) has a 83.7% chance of matching.
(112/134)

To end up with a rank list of 7+ you really only need about 5 interviews.

Also, you don't significantly increase your chances of matching after you reach a list of 7. In fact, if you are a DO/FMG your chances appear to decrease.

Just looking at the posts on this thread so far, I think the 10 interview "gold standard" to match is not only complete overkill but a total myth.

An MD applicant with a total rank list of 7+ (including Cat and Adv) has a 98.7% chance of matching. (758/768)

(112/134)

Also, you don't significantly increase your chances of matching after you reach a list of 7. In fact, if you are a DO/FMG your chances appear to decrease.

and an MD applicant with a total rank list of 13+ (Cat and Adv) has a 100% chance of matching (289 of 289)
ohnoes.gif

and an MD applicant with a total rank list of 13+ (Cat and Adv) has a 100% chance of matching (289 of 289)

Can't argue with that one...that is if the NRMP included applicants from Texas with the US seniors not the Independents. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

(112/134)

Awesome post rickkane :thumbup:

12 gas interviews, 1 TY, 2 prelim

15 ranks (anes), ranked everywhere I interviewed
2 prelim tacked onto the bottom

I think I allude to it above but I totally agree 10 interviews are entirely too many. Especially if MD and nothing wrong with the application. I think you can estimate your competitiveness also by how programs offer up an interview. You apply to 10 and 9 want to interview, I think it is fair to say you will probably be alright and don’t need to go all 9. You apply to 10 and 2 offer interviews, you then might want to broaden out and have longer rank list. But just applying to 30 programs and jamming in 15 interviews is a waste time and money in my opinion.

It is no wonder programs think so many people are applying to their programs and “applications are way up” or “really competitive this year”. I bet in years past people were not creating double digit ranks list at the frequency we are doing now.

10 anesthesia interviews advanced and categorical. 9 programs ranked, total of 11 ranks for anesthesia with ty and prelims at the end. 3 TYs and 5 prelims = 8 ranks for intern year. Overkill?? Can't tell, but like some said above, better safe than sorry...We shall see come match day.

10 total gas interviews, 3 TY ---> 12 total ranks. I think like most others here I took the magic number of 10 from last year as gospel and knew I would interview at and rank 10. yes, probably (hopefully) overkill as i'd rather not go outside #4 but hey can't be too careful....

12 gas interviews, 5 ty
no gas programs I found too repulsive to rank
thus, ranking 20 adv+cat plus supplementals

12 Anesthesia interviews
3 Transitional interviews
3 Prelim medicine interviews

Total rank list: 13 (All anesthesia categorical + advanced)
Supplemental List: 5 (Transitional + prelim medicine)

Best of luck to everyone!!! Hoping that we all match to our #1 :luck:

Got some bad advice early on about how many interviews to go on...

15 Anesthesiology interviews
8 TY interviews
2 Prelim-medicine interviews

Rank list:
14 Anesthesiology programs
21 ranks without prelims at the bottom (trying to find one to cut out to save the $30)

Supplemental lists (4 total lists):
Ranges from 7-10 programs

Needless to say, was pulling my hair out by the end on the interview trail, but had all the plane tickets booked so figured I might as well go.

It seems to me that people are applying to more programs then in the past. So there might not be that many more people applying just applying to more spots. I think there might be a lot more spots to scramble into then years past.

interviews:
8 gas
1 prelim med year

ranking:
6 programs
1 prelim med year

16 gas interviews = toooooo many
9 programs ranked = 10 on list cause one has categorical and advanced

prelim medicine --> tooo darn many interviews, more than half of which i'm not ranking.
ranking 4 prelim and 1 ty.

hope i match... scrambling would be a nightmare.

hope i match too....scared honestly.
14 interviews with 3 places i don't really want to go.

9 anesthesia interviews (a pretty good number)
6 Prelim/TY interviews

Ranking 7 anesthesia programs (all only advanced except for UCLA)
5 TY/Prelims

I am more scared I won't match for an intern position than an anesthesia position. :scared:

11 Anesthesia interviews--ranking 10
3 transitional and 3 prelim med---too many

11 Anesthesia interviews--ranking 10
3 transitional and 3 prelim med---too many

I wish I felt that way! I guess it's hard because I'm only trying to match in Southern California --has to be South of LA down to San Diego.

5 categorical interviewed
5 categorical ranked.

Interviewed at 15 anesthesia programs and 5 TY. Not ranking one of the anesthesia programs. Rank list 17 spots for anesthesia and 6 supplemental.

Interviewed at 12. 14 ranks (ranked them all)

It was excessive but I would have missed a couple of good programs if I trimmed it down based on what other people told me about them (which was often wrong).

Also had the painful experience of 12 prelim/TY interviews, because 1) I didn't know which ones were good and 2) in late Oct. my girlfiend changed her mind about what side of the country she would rather live on.

13 anesthesia programs
20 anesthesia ranks
(way too many)

12 prelims/TY's
(mostly local so it wasn't too bad, but I really wanted to stay local and not scramble)