how long it takes to prepare for the PCat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shiloh1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking 2 classes this next semester bio 2 and anatomy 1 I havent take microbiology , biochemistry and statistics .Also I have to work on my english because it is my second lenguage . I am planning to take the Pcat test on july 17 and Iam starting studying this month .Do you think thats enough time . I appreciate your feedbacks.

Members don't see this ad.

That's plenty of time

if you work your ass off, it will take like 2 weeks. If you wanna enjoy your time and do well, give it good month and half.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had several bad incidents leading up to my pcat that made it nearly impossible to study for. Overall, I only had about 5 days. But I personally though if you did well in school, and paid attention in your classes, then studying for the pcat shouldn't be learning new things but just review, and not a super intense one at that.

Agreed ^^^ took me about 4 years actually learning things in school. Then about a month to read things I hadn't taken yet like anatomy 1,2 and stats. If you don't remember the basics from prereqs then there isn't a whole lot you can do to relearn 12+ classes.

YMMV. For me, I only studied 150 hours total and got a 90+ composite. Others need more or less. IMO it depends on how well you performed in your undergrad classes.

It took me 2 months to prepare for the PCAT--I hadn't taken Human A&P or Microbiology, and it had been a few years since my chemistry. I was also in school and work full time. I managed a 99% composite by studying everyday Kaplan and Dr. Collins. Good luck to you!

Use Dr. Collins study guide and you can easily get 90+ comp studying for about 1-2 months a couple of hrs a day. Or if you super hardcore, 2 weeks or so about 6-8 hrs a day.
Honestly, most of the PCAT stuff is general questions from your undergrad science courses and Calc I and stats classes. There are a lot of human anatomy questions, but the Dr. Collins biology guide goes over the information very thoroughly and you should have no problem getting a 90+ if you understand the material in the packet.
You really do not need the biochemistry class to do well on the chemistry part. There is very little questions regarding biochem and it is VERY generalized and easy (the Dr. Collins guide only has like 1-2 pages of biochem and it's very basic stuff from general biology lol...) What you need to focus on are chemical equations from o chem (Sn1, Sn2, E1, E2, hydroxylation, etc.)
The English part personally for me was hard. The Dr. Collins vocabulary was USELESS~! None of his vocab words were on the PCAT and I had the newest update. I would recommend getting a GRE study book and study the top 200 vocab words from that. Also, practice writing essays (strong intro and conclusions and writing persuasion style essays).

I am taking 2 classes this next semester bio 2 and anatomy 1 I havent take microbiology , biochemistry and statistics .Also I have to work on my english because it is my second lenguage . I am planning to take the Pcat test on july 17 and Iam starting studying this month .Do you think thats enough time . I appreciate your feedbacks.

Since this thread already has been necroed, how did it go?