How long should I know someone before asking for a LOR??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started volunteer work in this awesome children's clinic about 2.5 months ago and I really like the staff there. I was thinking of asking the volunteer coordinator for a LOR because I think he could write a really good letter for me. He sees the amount of work I put into the children's clinic and the way I interact with the patients.
I just don't want it to seem like I only started the placement to get the letter, because that wasn't my intention at all, in fact I didn't really think I would be using them for a LOR at all, until I really started to enjoy the work. And he knows that I'm planning on staying through the remainder of my school year next session.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same exact situation. I will be asking the doctor I have interned for about 2 months for a LOR. I don't think they will mind especially if they know you are committed.

Wait until you know the person biblically.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well you gotta see how that first date goes...If you really hit it off and felt like there was a great connection between you two, then definitely ask her back to your place for a drink and see where things go from...err...oh wait damn we're talking about LORs....WAY less interesting!

I propose we change the end of this thread title from "...a LOR" to "sex" or at least "a blowjob". How bout even "a threesome"?

All in favor?

Bluntman said:
I propose we change the end of this thread title from "...a LOR" to "sex" or at least "a blowjob". How bout even "a threesome"?

All in favor?

Aye.

Bluntman said:

All in favor?

If you are one of those anal overachievers, you'll settle for nothing less than a fivesome. And if you don't get to have a fivesome OMG you'll JUST DIE I SWEAR

back to your actual question...

If you feel that in the short amount of time youve known the person that they can write a good rec than by all means go for it. There are tons of people who get recs from professors who only taught the student for a single class. If you can get a meaningful rec out of that then great. When you know them for longer the rec can maybe pull a tad bit more weight i suppose, but I dont suspect that adcoms really pay much attention to how long youve known the person, theyre mainly interested in what they have to say about you... however Id try and get a good mix of recs in this respect. as long as all of your recs arent from people youve only known for a few months id say thats fine.

for an example I have a rec from my lab director (known him 2.5 years), another rec from a history professor (2 years 5 classes), a rec from my bio major advisor (2 years 1 class), a rec from another lab director whom i only knew for 2 months as it was visiting a lab across the country, and I'll maybe be forced to include a professor from summer after freshman year that only taught me one class.