How long should I take to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted388502

Hi,

I'm planning on taking the MCAT by studying all next summer - I start around Aug 20th and I'm out of school April 30th.
However, I'm considering studying abroad for the month of May till May 30th.
Would June 1st-Mid august be enough time to study for the MCAT with the SN2ED schedule, 16 hr a week job, and no class?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

16 hrs of work doesn't seem bad! It depends on how much you remember the subjects and how much time you need to review them. I did the same thing last summer and i ended up doing good on PS 12 and ok on BS 10 but verbal sucked because i really didnt pay attention much VR 6.

Hi,

I'm planning on taking the MCAT by studying all next summer - I start around Aug 20th and I'm out of school April 30th.
However, I'm considering studying abroad for the month of May till May 30th.
Would June 1st-Mid august be enough time to study for the MCAT with the SN2ED schedule, 16 hr a week job, and no class?

thanks!

I personally would take longer than that if possible. Just know that an extra month of studying could mean a sizable difference in your score. Plus the SN2ed schedule is BRUTAL! I only worked about 6 hours a week, had no other commitments, and I quickly fell behind the schedule. Some can keep up, but I would say the majority of us need to spread it out a little longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want a decent chance to get in, do the study abroad AFTER taking the MCAT. That way your score is back in time to apply somewhat early in the cycle.

Six whole hours? That sounds terrible! Come over to the non-trad forum and see how real men study for MCAT :smuggrin:

As for OP, I would suggest studying straight through and taking your test. The reality is that you probably won't study for MCAT when you go abroad (you know new things to see and do). If you are really bent on going abroad, sit for the exam before you go, not after.

haha I wasn't bragging about it, and I have all the more respect for those that do it. I'm lucky enough to have a wife that works full time, so I didn't need to work like crazy while studying. I think we can agree that in any scenario, working less is always better for MCAT study.

If you really want a decent chance to get in, do the study abroad AFTER taking the MCAT. That way your score is back in time to apply somewhat early in the cycle.

I am not applying this cycle, I am taking a gap year.

haha I wasn't bragging about it, and I have all the more respect for those that do it. I'm lucky enough to have a wife that works full time, so I didn't need to work like crazy while studying. I think we can agree that in any scenario, working less is always better for MCAT study.

O Grady, your 3.6 GPA and 30 MCAT should be adequate for many MDs...

However, after looking at your MDapps, I only saw DO schools.

Are you just not interested in MD programs?