How long to reply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I remember reading somewhere that programs offer more interviews than they can actually hold so it is important to reply to the programs ASAP (especially if you need a certain date). Well, As they start coming in and I'm trying to plan, I just don't know how to go about this. I get 1 in minnesota first so I responded with a certain date, but then another comes in and they ONLY offer dates that conflict with stuff already set up so i'm so confused. Can you call back and ask for another date? Can you wait 1-2 weeks to reply to see what interviews come in? I wish this was going more smoothly!
Couldn't they just have an "interview offer day" so we can see where all we get interviews and decide where we REALLY want to interview and plan how to get to them?
thanks for reading my rant-
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

You can definitely call back and arrange for a new interview time. I did this alot when I wanted only to travel to a particular region of the country once. I think everyone understands med studs dont have the money to be bouncing all over the place and assuming you are polite about it and only do it once per program, it should not be problem. I also do not think it is the end of the world to wait 10 days after an interview invite to respond; although, I probably would not do this at a program that is one of your top choices.

I ended up matching at a program where I rearranged my interview date, so I could interview at several at the same time in that area.

BASIC STRATEGY

Hang in there - there will be plenty of conflicting dates, as I am sure you will have plenty of interview offers. Things don't get rolling until after November 1 (when dean's letters come out). I would schedule your early interviews in order, and leave the programs you are most interested in until the middle to near end of your interview season. This will give you plenty of time to "practice" your interviewing skills while seeing what other programs have to offer.

THE NUMBERS

Programs interview about 10 applicants for every one spot. Likewise, you should interview at around 10 programs or so. Any more than that may make you sick of interviewing and may make your decision cloudy. Of course, if you are not a strong applicant, 15 programs may be a better target.

MAKING THINGS EASIER

Try to cluster your interview days geographically and drive to as many as you can. This will allow you to see the cities and save you a ton of cash. Programs are well aware that everyone is offering interviews on different days of the week and some may overlap. Don't be shy to tell a program you are interested but would like to wait a week or so to try to line up your interviews. Don't wait much longer than that, though, as spots will fill quickly.

ETIQUITTE

On the other hand, don't be too quick to fill up your interview schedule with programs you may not want to attend. This takes available dates away from those more interested than you. Likewise, when you think you are finished interviewing, cancel your remaining interveiws promptly and politely. If you know of people who want to interview at a program you are cancelling, give them a heads up - EM is a small field and shat goes around comes around. Be a believer in karma.

FOLLOW-UP

Written thank you letters are polite at worst and expected by many people. Don't type them (unless you can't read your own writing) and make them short and sweet. Program directors have enough to read - don't give them much more. After you interview, it is encouraged by most places to return for a second visit. If you have three places you want to go (your top three), schedule a repeat visit with the PD and a couple of residents. This is a great time to involve your significant other. It is ok for you to tell a progam you are ranking them number one or highly - as long as you are honest. It is not ok for the programs to do the same.

WHEN YOU ARE ALL DONE

Relax and avoid obsessing. The decision has already been made and is out of your hands. Take solice from the fact that the programs you interview with are also blind to whom will be matching. Relax and enjoy the rest of your training.

Members don't see this ad :)
niner: you should 'sticky' that....nicely written....