How long to study for STEP 1 for a below average student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hqoinw0981

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've mostly been within 1 to 2 standard deviations below the average on most of my exams through first and second year, with only a few exams being above the average. I was very close to failing physiology during first year but have been doing better second year.

However, I honestly think I remember less than 10% of what I've learned throughout the first year. I barely even what I learned on the previous exam from a week ago haha. I memorize/learn something one day, learn something new the next day, then completely forget what I learned the first day, and repeat.

Given my situation, how long should I study for STEP 1? I have 7 weeks of dedicated time, but I heard 6 weeks is optimal. Should I still shoot for 6 weeks given how bad I am at remembering things? I'm trying to shoot for a 235+...is that even a realistic score at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I've mostly been within 1 to 2 standard deviations below the average on most of my exams through first and second year, with only a few exams being above the average. I was very close to failing physiology during first year but have been doing better second year.

However, I honestly think I remember less than 10% of what I've learned throughout the first year. I barely even what I learned on the previous exam from a week ago haha. I memorize/learn something one day, learn something new the next day, then completely forget what I learned the first day, and repeat.

Given my situation, how long should I study for STEP 1? I have 7 weeks of dedicated time, but I heard 6 weeks is optimal. Should I still shoot for 6 weeks given how bad I am at remembering things? I'm trying to shoot for a 235+...is that even a realistic score at all?

I think it's impossible to score 235+ for a below average student given only 6-7 weeks of dedicated time. You need to start studying now, every day 1-2 hours to get close to that score. You need to basically refresh everything before you even approach dedicated study time. IMHO when dedicated study time comes - you need to already have knowledge required to pass Step 1. Dedicated time is basically just to hone your test skills. Just my opinion

Reactions: 1 user