How long to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WolfLarson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have previously written the MCAT twice. First time I got 28R and second time 24 (barely studied). I will be writing it for the third time this summer.

I was thinking of spending 8 weeks studying (like for the USMLE) but am not sure if that is suffcient for the new MCAT.

What would the kind people on this forum recommend?

PS. I was thinking I would focus mostly on my weak points for content review and then work on questions the rest of the time.

Members don't see this ad.

WolfLarson:

Unfortunately, each of us will need to answer that question for our self. There will be individual who can take this exam cold and still do fairly well. For example there is W6BF on page 9 of the 509+ thread:

1) 511 total 127 PC | 130 CARS | 128 Bio | 126 Psy/Soc
2) Never studied
3) Never looked at any materials
4) Never took a practice test
5) Majored in Bio + Latin, Minored in Chem
6) I would recommend studying, even though I did not study
7) Never

I meant to study, but I was really busy - and I figured I would just see how I did. I got a competitive-ish score, and went with it. I only got into one med school.

My suggestion is take a practice test and see where you are currently. That will tell you just how much work you need to put in. You will need to do as much practice as you see necessary to get to the score that you will be happy with. All AAMC practice material should be the minimum. That does not mean you should ignore content review--content is also important. So the question becomes, how quickly can you relearn/re-familiarize yourself with the necessary content and then do a ton of practice (or at least all AAMC)?

Realize that the people doing USMLE just finish taking a test or three every week on the subject matter for the past year or so... Basically the content is still relatively fresh.

There will be some who only need a month or two to study, others may need a full nine months, while an average it will be three to four months for most? How fresh is your content? How strong is your content knowledge? How strong is your reasoning skills? How well did you do on the Verbal Reasoning section when you took it both times in the pass?

I believe with your previous scores you are going to need a minimum of 3-4 months. You do need content review and plenty of time to take a ton of practice problems. The among of work that you put in those practice problems (reviewing) will determine whether you improve or get the equivalent of your past scores. Best of luck on your journey my friend.

Oh, don't forget that you also need to study for Psychology and Sociology for this current exam.

Reactions: 1 user
WolfLarson:

Unfortunately, each of us will need to answer that question for our self. There will be individual who can take this exam cold and still do fairly well. For example there is W6BF on page 9 of the 509+ thread:

1) 511 total 127 PC | 130 CARS | 128 Bio | 126 Psy/Soc
2) Never studied
3) Never looked at any materials
4) Never took a practice test
5) Majored in Bio + Latin, Minored in Chem
6) I would recommend studying, even though I did not study
7) Never

I meant to study, but I was really busy - and I figured I would just see how I did. I got a competitive-ish score, and went with it. I only got into one med school.

My suggestion is take a practice test and see where you are currently. That will tell you just how much work you need to put in. You will need to do as much practice as you see necessary to get to the score that you will be happy with. All AAMC practice material should be the minimum. That does not mean you should ignore content review--content is also important. So the question becomes, how quickly can you relearn/re-familiarize yourself with the necessary content and then do a ton of practice (or at least all AAMC)?

Realize that the people doing USMLE just finish taking a test or three every week on the subject matter for the past year or so... Basically the content is still relatively fresh.

There will be some who only need a month or two to study, others may need a full nine months, while an average it will be three to four months for most? How fresh is your content? How strong is your content knowledge? How strong is your reasoning skills? How well did you do on the Verbal Reasoning section when you took it both times in the pass?

I believe with your previous scores you are going to need a minimum of 3-4 months. You do need content review and plenty of time to take a ton of practice problems. The among of work that you put in those practice problems (reviewing) will determine whether you improve or get the equivalent of your past scores. Best of luck on your journey my friend.

Oh, don't forget that you also need to study for Psychology and Sociology for this current exam.

Well W6BF must be some genius or something. I have learned (through trial and alot of error) that I need to study.

Stuff I know well, I think I can remember it pretty fast (one/two reads), but stuff I am weaker on I will need more time (preferrably with practice problems to back up that section). Do you know if there are practice problems for a single section (for example problems only for Michaelis-Menton kinetics)?

I don't know how to measure how strong my knowledge is, but I did complete a physiology course last semester, but have not taken biochem, physics or chem for years. I think I have average reasoning skills.

My Verbal Scores were 9 for first time and 7 second time (I did not do a single verbal practice problem).

Well W6BF must be some genius or something. I have learned (through trial and alot of error) that I need to study.

Stuff I know well, I think I can remember it pretty fast (one/two reads), but stuff I am weaker on I will need more time (preferrably with practice problems to back up that section). Do you know if there are practice problems for a single section (for example problems only for Michaelis-Menton kinetics)?

I don't know how to measure how strong my knowledge is, but I did complete a physiology course last semester, but have not taken biochem, physics or chem for years. I think I have average reasoning skills.

My Verbal Scores were 9 for first time and 7 second time (I did not do a single verbal practice problem).

KhanAcademy has questions specific to certain sections, as does many review books like EK and TBR