How long work with attending to ask for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheyf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm applying for diagnostic radiology this coming match season. I worked with a cardiologist on my internal medicine rotation for two weeks in the middle of third year. I also plan to work with him again in August for two weeks. However we probably only see each other face to face when we are rounding for about 2 hours per day on consult service. Is it appropriate to ask the attending for a letter of recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm applying for diagnostic radiology this coming match season. I worked with a cardiologist on my internal medicine rotation for two weeks in the middle of third year. I also plan to work with him again it's August for two weeks. However we probably only see each other face to face when we are rounding for about 2 hours per day on consult service. Is it appropriate attending for a letter of recommendation?
Yup

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies!

Follow up question: I have the option to continue working with this staff until August 26th. Is it ok to email him a week beforehand on the 19th to give him ~1 month before ERAS officially opens or is it weird to ask him at the end of the week but show up the following week and continue to work with him? Is 3 weeks considered a courteous and appropriate amount of time to write a LOR? Thanks again :)

Thanks for the replies!

Follow up question: I have the option to continue working with this staff until August 26th. Is it ok to email him a week beforehand on the 19th to give him ~1 month before ERAS officially opens or is it weird to ask him at the end of the week but show up the following week and continue to work with him? Is 3 weeks considered a courteous and appropriate amount of time to write a LOR? Thanks again :)

I asked in the middle of a rotation and it went fine for me. That just gives the person appropriate time