How Low can your grades go after an acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silas2642

silas2642
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are straight B's and perhaps an odd C thrown in here and there okay? Or will they rescind an acceptance letter for this? How low can these grades go before you end up empty handed?

Members don't see this ad.

silas2642 said:
Are straight B's and perhaps an odd C thrown in here and there okay? Or will they rescind an acceptance letter for this? How low can these grades go before you end up empty handed?

I am pretty sure that the conditions of your acceptance should be on your acceptance letter. I think that the conditions were listed on the letter they send you after you send in your initial deposit.

You must have a major case of senioritis to be posting a topic like this, huh?

Members don't see this ad :)
krayj36 said:
I am pretty sure that the conditions of your acceptance should be on your acceptance letter. I think that the conditions were listed on the letter they send you after you send in your initial deposit.

You must have a major case of senioritis to be posting a topic like this, huh?

It's bad; it's driving me nuts. I can't sit still, I can't study. I have a neuro final tomorrow morning and I'm sitting here on the computer talking to you about grades.

They said I had to have have "satisfactory completion of the rest of my coursework." What the heck does this mean? They could have been more specific if you ask me.

silas2642 said:
It's bad; it's driving me nuts. I can't sit still, I can't study. I have a neuro final tomorrow morning and I'm sitting here on the computer talking to you about grades.

They said I had to have have "satisfactory completion of the rest of my coursework." What the heck does this mean? They could have been more specific if you ask me.
you're talking about acceptance to a med school, right? (just want to be clear on where you are in the process)

If so, I would think that any passing grade would be considered "satisfactory"...I can't imagine B's being a problem, and I wouldn't think C's would cause them to rescind your acceptance either. But that's based only on my opinion and not on any actual info from a med school (my necessary disclaimer!) , so you may want to call and find out for sure.

You should be okay with a C. This time.

After this term, feel free to call and find out what exactly they mean, and you'll know exactly how lazy you can be next term. Once they've accepted you, they aren't going to rescind it just because you ask a question about their policies. Every school is different, but most med schools want real grades rather than pass/no pass (which some universities let you do one class per term as a senior if the class isn't required for your degree), and usually "satisfactory" means no D's or F's. Also no disciplinary action -- so don't get drunk, steal a golf cart, and run it into an official "State Historical Landmark" (bronze plaque and all) like one of my roommates did.......

silas2642 said:

I made probably a couple of C's my senior year, and it never came up. A classmate of mine blew off senior year so badly that he had a D-- he called up the school (not sure what happened in that conversation) and he's here now, so you could probably get away with worse than a C..

But just stick with the B's, C's, and partying, and you should be fine.

OddNath said:
I made probably a couple of C's my senior year, and it never came up. A classmate of mine blew off senior year so badly that he had a D-- he called up the school (not sure what happened in that conversation) and he's here now, so you could probably get away with worse than a C..

But just stick with the B's, C's, and partying, and you should be fine.

Beautiful, that makes me feel a lot better and now, with half an hour left before my neuro final to go, my decision has been made. I will not try to study for it, because I simply do not care. The worst case scenario is a B-- I can live with that.

silas2642 said:

It honestly depends on the school. If you're talking about a top teir institute, they're not going to be thrilled if your grades dip at all. A lower teir may be more forgiving. I heard one story about 4 years ago about a good friend of a close friend of mine who had been accepted to med school but had it revoked for poor performance. I do not know how low her grades went.

Just keep in mind that some residencies want your college transcript when you apply...I applied to ophtho via sf match and had to send a transcript. I doubt anyone looks at it though.

silas2642 said:

I'm applying for IM residency now, and nobody has asked for my college transcript. Relax, kick back, a couple of B's aren't going to change your GPA by very much.

UCLA2000 said:
It honestly depends on the school. If you're talking about a top teir institute, they're not going to be thrilled if your grades dip at all. A lower teir may be more forgiving. I heard one story about 4 years ago about a good friend of a close friend of mine who had been accepted to med school but had it revoked for poor performance. I do not know how low her grades went.

Top tier institute? Me? Ha, ha, ha... oh my God, I'm laughing so hard I'm starting to cry. Whoo. Good one UCLA2000. No, no, just a mid-tier school is my destination of choice for Fall 2006.

I've always felt that the best thing you can do is finish your senior year out well. After all, it's not the end of school forever like it is for a business major. School for you isn't going to end for quite a while, and with all the "life-long learning" that is necessary as a physician you'll get no rest. You'll be more prepared for the jump to med school and feel better about yourself if you can close out undergrad with the good grades you've gotten all along.

they admissions dean told us straight up when when i was accepted that we were expected to get C's or above. No D's or F's. But they also said that they usually let people matriculate even with a D or F as long as they still graduated.

Generally as long as you don't fail classes, you'll be ok.

lol guys this is sooo sad i got 2 Cs this quarter, sooo pathetic. honestly, i went on 7 interviews in 10 weeks of a quarter and the two classes I got Cs in were ones with heavy attendance requirements....well that and i did nothing, nothing at all except working to save money to furnish my lovely MS1 apartment next year :)

i'm worried too, and it's hard to get a straight answer to this question because everyone wants to tell you to finish out strong and what not...honestly i really do not think it matters as long as your making Bs and Cs! at least god i hope not :)