How low does a GPA need to be in order for you to address it in an essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miss chievous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA throughout my 4 years was 3.9 to 3.0 to 3.9 to 3.9.

Should I address the 3.0 sophomore year GPA in the following essay? "Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which have not previously been presented." This is an optional essay for my application.

I should note that the first semester of sophomore year was a 2.7 and the second was a 3.3.

Members don't see this ad.

Should I address the 3.0 sophomore year GPA in the following essay? "Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which have not previously been presented." This is an optional essay for my application.

I should note that the first semester of sophomore year was a 2.7 and the second was a 3.3.

I would if I were you. Even though your have made up for it I think adcoms would be curious as to why you were only able to achieve a 2.7 during a semester. Congrats on getting those 3.9's though!

I would if I were you. Even though your have made up for it I think adcoms would be curious as to why you were only able to achieve a 2.7 during a semester. Congrats on getting those 3.9's though!

Thanks! I guess I was just worried that I would be bringing attention to something that may be overlooked (the low sophomore year GPA), you know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I guess I was just worried that I would be bringing attention to something that may be overlooked (the low sophomore year GPA), you know?

I think a GPA under a 3.0 will still require an explanation. However I just took a look at your MDApps. You have great numbers and have nothing to worry about!

I think a GPA under a 3.0 will still require an explanation. However I just took a look at your MDApps. You have great numbers and have nothing to worry about!

Wait sorry, so you think a sub 3.0 GPA does require an explanation, or does my 3.70 cumulative make it not necessary?

Wait sorry, so you think a sub 3.0 GPA does require an explanation, or does my 3.70 cumulative make it not necessary?

I would explain it. I have two W's on my transcript and I am going to explain those. I really don't think that my W's or your one semester of a 2.7 is a big deal at all considering that we redeemed ourselves, but I still think it would be best to explain them. Adcoms may wonder why you went from such a high GPA to a low GPA and then back to a high GPA again. In my opinion I would just rather be straight up with an adcom rather than leaving them wondering and making assumptions themselves.

Wait where on the AMCAS does this question appear? I don't see it anywhere, maybe I'm blind?

Wait where on the AMCAS does this question appear? I don't see it anywhere, maybe I'm blind?

It doesn't appear anywhere on AMCAS. Some secondaries allow you to elaborate on things that you weren't able to explain elsewhere on your app. If these opportunities arise I will explain my two W's there. I am pretty sure miss chievous is applying via TMDSAS so that application may have a place to describe things like this but I'm not sure.

I haven't applied yet. Here's my hunch:

Point out the 3.9's somewhere (not necessarily in the essay). Don't draw attention to the 3.0. You can mention mitigating factors in context of something else. If you do that, it explains the problem and also give you a chance of their not noticing in the first place.

The exception would be if you strongly suspect that a school your applying to would screen you out.

Last edited:
OP- I don't think that is the essay to discuss academic shortcomings. That is the essay where you write something unique about yourself that didn't fit anywhere else on the application. It doesn't need to be filled, but if you can fill it, it's a nice touch. It's similar to an interviewer asking you at the end of an interview, "is there anything we didn't discuss that you would like me to share with the admissions committee?"

Most secondaries have a section where you can address any academic shortcomings. That would be the place to explain whatever happened during sophomore year. But that's just my 2 cents.

I haven't applied yet. Here's my hunch:

Point out the 3.9's somewhere (not necessarily in the essay). Don't draw attention to the 3.0. You can mention mitigating factors in context of something else. If you do that, it explains the problem and also give you a chance of their not noticing in the first place.

The exception would be if you strongly suspect that a school your applying to would screen you out.

Schools won't screen out for just one year of 3.0, especially since 1) the cumulative GPA is a solid 3.7, and 2) there is an obvious upward trend

There's no reason to "point out" 3.9s in the application (not even sure where you would talk about that) as adcoms can very clearly see what your grades are, and you risk coming off as humblebragging, which is not something you should aim for. Often there are extenuating circumstances for a bad year, such as family or financial problems, and if that is the case, one SHOULD discuss the poor grades and the reason behind them rather than just ignoring them and hoping the adcom does the same.

Your GPA is basically expected to drop during your sophomore year (ochem). Unless they have a specific secondary essay or spot for you to address your low GPA, don't mention it.

LizzyM likes to use the "zit analogy". You're dressed up and you look nice. Your date is impressed by how well you cleaned up. You guys have fun on your date. Then, you point out your pimple on your chin. Now, she can try to ignore it, but for the rest of the date she will notice it to some degree because you pointed it out. If you never pointed it out in the first place, she probably wouldn't have noticed, right?

Don't bring up the zit unless they have a place for it. Your essays are better spent elaborating on your experiences, reasons for wanting to be in medicine, and what you've been through that will make you a great doctor.

There's no reason to "point out" 3.9s in the application (not even sure where you would talk about that) as adcoms can very clearly see what your grades are, and you risk coming off as humblebragging, which is not something you should aim for. Often there are extenuating circumstances for a bad year, such as family or financial problems, and if that is the case, one SHOULD discuss the poor grades and the reason behind them rather than just ignoring them and hoping the adcom does the same.

It's all about context and how it's said.

Unless there are compelling circumstances for that low gpa, I would not mention a drop in gpa like that (personal illness, family death, etc ONLY)

It is important to have a short answer prepared just in case it comes up in interviews, and you can potentially use it as an addressing a challenge essay (though if you have something else, it would probably be better). Unless you do have compelling reasons, do not attempt to justify or make excuses. That doesn't leave a good impression. Accept responsibility for your grades, talk about how you decided to address the problem, and then prove to them that you actually did improve them (your upward trend).

I wouldn't call attention to it. You are supposed to sell yourself in your PS. Also, a PS ideally flows like a story about why you want to be a doctor and is only 5300 characters max, so I wouldn't waste the space or upset the flow of your statement.

It's clear you have an upward trend, so you should get interviews. Be ready to explain the low semester in your interviews, but since your GPA is so solid otherwise, you might not even have to.

edit: Oops, not a PS question.

I wouldn't, unless there's a truly compelling reason why you did poorly for a semester like a death in the immediate family, personal illness, etc.. You don't want to sound like you're making excuses if the real reason was just taking hard classes, partying too much, or just the product of normal college life.

I wouldn't call attention to it. You are supposed to sell yourself in your PS. Also, a PS ideally flows like a story about why you want to be a doctor and is only 5300 characters max, so I wouldn't waste the space or upset the flow of your statement.

It's clear you have an upward trend, so you should get interviews. Be ready to explain the low semester in your interviews, but since your GPA is so solid otherwise, you might not even have to.

What you say is correct, but OP is not referring to the PS.

It seems like most of you are telling me to avoid writing about it, which I agree. The reason I did poorly was honestly because of partying/video games/girlfriend but it really was my own fault and I take responsibility for it. No deaths or illnesses or anything dramatic. If anything, it was probably my best year :D

But anyway, I'll leave it out. Thanks for the advice guys!