How low is too low?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonlightstar16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background
Double Majors: Biochemistry and Microbiology
Undergrad cGPA: 2.54
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 2.46
Extra Curricular: Mentor middle school kids in MedTrek, a science based program where they get meet people in health professions and do lab projects.
Shadowing: I have about 40 hours of shadowing a family medicine doctor and will continue to do so.
Patient Care Experience: I have 120 hours in PCA work.
Publication: One scientific paper in PLOS

Should I even try to apply to Medical School or am I just wasting my time? I didn’t have a lot of support while I was in school with pre-health advising or financial help. I went from an honor student getting straight A’s in everything in high school to struggling really hard trying to adjust to college life as well as having some personal problems. I was a first generation college student and a refugee so I worked full-time while attending school full time to make ends meet. I ended up getting pregnant after my freshman year. I’m still a single mom, she’s now 5 years old! I took a semester off to have my baby and took summer courses to graduate on time with my class. My cGPA and sGPA are almost the same as I only took science courses (one of my problems). I should have just taken the general courses instead of taking the science courses “for majors” (they were harder than the general courses). I’ve always wanted to be a doctor since 4th grade and I’ve still been working towards it. I’m not ready to give up that dream just yet. I’ve been working in as a lab tech/researcher for about 3 years. I’ve been doing my MPH part time while working and so far I have a 3.8 gpa. I also took some science classes as continuing ed and I have a 3.45 gpa. If I also got a Masters in Medical Sciences with a 4.0 gpa, a strong MCAT score, and great LORs and PS, would this better my chances? I’m looking to apply to my state school which also happens to be my alma mater. I’m curious if I am being too ambitious on my chances of getting in anywhere? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

hard to tell without an MCAT score. your gpa is not good for really any med school to be honest. If you were to succeed in post bac work with grades of3.5 or above you could stand a chance with good mcat score. Also need more shadowing experience. Also applying to med school is expensive and i dont know your financial situation but i can image raising a child alone isnt easy so you would only want to apply when you have the best shot at getting in. Take the mcat, kill it, get great grades in all of your class from now on and then apply. slow and steady wins the race. best of luck.

These gpa's are so infrequently seen that all one can say is that odds are vanishingly small with the information you have given us.
Even if you are from W VA (a very lucky state), the mean gpa for a successful applicant is 3.66.
You will notice that at 3.11, chances are just detectable, even with an excellent MCAT: http://edge.studentdoctor.net/wamc/All_Applicants.png

We expect a 4.0 in an MPH from everyone. Master's grades have no influence in how the undergraduate gpa is evaluated at MD schools. DO's see things differently.

A sustained period of academic excellence in challenging undergraduate courses and a single strong MCAT would go a long way toward improving your chances.

You don't really need more shadowing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not happening.

Take it from a former student, medical school is an academic endeavor unlike no other where success getting in and getting out is based on test scores. You won't get in with your stats; you wouldn't even survive the curriculum with those scores; and I wouldn't even recommend the Caribbean risk with those numbers. Find another career; you will be waaaay more happier. Just trust me. That is not personal by any means...it's just how it is unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 users
Your GPAs are low. You're going to need to ace at least a one year post bacc and a high MCAT for DO. Likely a SMP after the post-bacc as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Does not look good. Maybe Texas and fresh start one day...

Its too low. You have people on this site who are stressing because they think their 3.5 is too low. To my knowledge, med schools will conclude that because you couldn't excel in undergrad work you will not stand a chance in medical school. I mean yes the Caribbean may be an option, but keep in mind it is VERY risky. And the risk will be even greater because with that GPA your Caribbean school choice is limited. Now may be a time where you consider other options.

Goodluck