How low should your GPA have been to address it in secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spongeman7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I just had a question for a secondary prompt that some schools ask, to "explain inconsistencies in academic performance". How low should your academic performance (GPA) have been in order to discuss this in secondaries? I had a lower GPA freshman & sophomore year (ranging from 3.1-3.5) due to some financial stressors and other things, but improved later in junior & senior year with all 3.7-4.0 with a strong upward trend. Is this worth addressing or will it just bring up unneeded attention to my slightly lower GPA? Thank you for the help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I just had a question for a secondary prompt that some schools ask, to "explain inconsistencies in academic performance". How low should your academic performance (GPA) have been in order to discuss this in secondaries? I had a lower GPA freshman & sophomore year (ranging from 3.1-3.5) due to some financial stressors and other things, but improved later in junior & senior year with all 3.7-4.0 with a strong upward trend. Is this worth addressing or will it just bring up unneeded attention to my slightly lower GPA? Thank you for the help in advance!
Your example is why this prompt exists!!

Reactions: 1 user
Many secondaries are explicit about “explain any grades below a C+” or some other objective cutoff like that. So those are easy. Otherwise, if you have a strong upward trend, I would address it briefly, as long as the issue is resolved and it wasn’t a chronic health problem (which includes mental health).

Reactions: 1 user