how many acceptances are you holding on to/declining?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterlily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how many acceptances are you guys holding on to? And how many are you declining off the bat? Out of my acceptance offers, there are 2 schools that would be the ones I'd really be considering going to...but I don't know if I should hold on to other schools that I'm interested in to see how the financial aid package is, and then decide from there. What are you guys doing?

Members don't see this ad.

waterlily said:
So how many acceptances are you guys holding on to? And how many are you declining off the bat? Out of my acceptance offers, there are 2 schools that would be the ones I'd really be considering going to...but I don't know if I should hold on to other schools that I'm interested in to see how the financial aid package is, and then decide from there. What are you guys doing?
If you think there's ANY chance you may go to a school, accept the offer. I understand that applicants should be respectful of other applicants, but keep your options open until you have a better idea of where you will and will not go. However, if you know that even with financial aid and other factors taken into a consideration that you wouldn't go to a particular school, then decline the offer. This is what I've been doing.

MrBurns10 said:
If you think there's ANY chance you may go to a school, accept the offer. I understand that applicants should be respectful of other applicants, but keep your options open until you have a better idea of where you will and will not go. However, if you know that even with financial aid and other factors taken into a consideration that you wouldn't go to a particular school, then decline the offer. This is what I've been doing.

Very true, although the earlier you sit down with yourself and make the decision the better for the school AND your fellow applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, be careful about where you are holding multiple acceptances from and what agreements you have signed. Read the fine print! Many schools have the policy that you are only permitted to hold onto X number of acceptances (and X is usually 1 or 2). I know of at least one school that says that if they find out that you are holding more than one acceptance, this is grounds for their retracting their offer to you.

chicklett1 said:
Also, be careful about where you are holding multiple acceptances from and what agreements you have signed. Read the fine print! Many schools have the policy that you are only permitted to hold onto X number of acceptances (and X is usually 1 or 2). I know of at least one school that says that if they find out that you are holding more than one acceptance, this is grounds for their retracting their offer to you.
That's true after May 15. But until then, you can hold as many acceptances as you want.

OP, I agree with MrBurns. If financial aid is going to be an important part of your decision, and you think you might want to attend one of your less favorite schools if you were to receive a good fin aid package there, then hold on to them. If you know that you wouldn't attend some school no matter what, then it makes sense to withdraw.

My I ask what you mean by "financial aid package"? So you mean things over and above sub'd and unsub'd loans like scholarships etc? I just figured all packages looked the same (with the exception of Mayo). Help! :eek:

I'm not as focused on financial aid as I am what school I go to. So I'm declining any interview offers that aren't at better schools than the acceptances I already have or are just someplace I really want to interview at for some reason. I've declined some. It's all in my MDApps profile.

waterlily said:

Wow. That's a good problem to have. I am green with envy.

waterlily said:

i've accepted three...two are top on my list, and one is lower down but i couldn't say it's ruled out. so i accepted them all. i got waitlisted at one place but declined because i didn't like it there.

i think it's hard at this point to say that i am 100% sure i don't want to go anywhere cuz i haven't entirely decided where i want to be, etc (with the expecton of the one school i really disliked).

waterlily said:

I'm holding three right now ... One of the three is one of my top choices, and I'm still waiting on one other school to decide before I'll know for sure. I've turned down two already, and will be declining one more acceptance this week. I'm going to give myself a little time before releasing the two other school whose offers I've accepted to make sure that I don't change my mind.

gdbaby said:
My I ask what you mean by "financial aid package"? So you mean things over and above sub'd and unsub'd loans like scholarships etc? I just figured all packages looked the same (with the exception of Mayo). Help! :eek:
Yes, merit-based or need-based scholarships and grants. You're a non-trad, so this is especially relevant to you. Some schools consider people over age 30 as independent for financial aid purposes, while others will not consider you independent even if you are 50 and your parents are in their 90s. :rolleyes: Whether the school considers your parents' finances or not would make a huge difference if they're still working or they've saved up significant retirement funds.

7 Acceptances, currently holding 2. I've declined 5.

I also recommend calling schools to figure out what kind of aid they give if you don't already know. For example, after being accepted to UPitt, I found that they didn't offer merit scholarships and withdrew because that was the only way they would surpass another school on my list.

KevinZ said:
7 Acceptances, currently holding 2. I've declined 5.

I also recommend calling schools to figure out what kind of aid they give if you don't already know. For example, after being accepted to UPitt, I found that they didn't offer merit scholarships and withdrew because that was the only way they would surpass another school on my list.

Hmmm. I wish I have your problem. Currently have none and waiting for one

waterlily said:

I think you should hold on to your acceptances a bit longer. I was about to drop one of my acceptances and then I received a letter from them Saturday that I had received a 30,000/year Dean Scholarship. And I still can be considered for financial aid! That makes a HUGE difference to me. The only reason I was going to drop the school was because I'd probably go to the other schools over this one but it's still a great school that I would be happy at. After that letter I decided to wait to see what happens with FA.