How many acceptances (if any) are you holding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many acceptances (if any) are you holding as of March 22?

Votes: 68 22.3%

Votes: 79 25.9%

Votes: 58 19.0%

Votes: 36 11.8%

Votes: 24 7.9%

Votes: 14 4.6%

Votes: 26 8.5%

• Total voters

slcdoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many acceptances (if any) are you holding?

It will be interesting to see how people are doing out there.

Oh, if you have more than 6 acceptances that you are holding than just vote for 6. I don't think I can go back and edit the poll.

Members don't see this ad.

Just one. And I will fight to the bitter end to keep it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why, why are people holding so many acceptances? For people with 0 acceptance and on waitlists like me, I'm just hoping for you guys to drop some so we could get in. Is financial package the only reason most are holding multiple?

I agree. If you are waiting of financial aid and would ACTUALLY go to that school, hold it. Otherwise, move out and let someone else get in.

Why, why are people holding so many acceptances? For people with 0 acceptance and on waitlists like me, I'm just hoping for you guys to drop some so we could get in.
Amen to that. If any of you successful Arkansas applicants out there would like to decline your respective acceptances, I'd be much obliged. :laugh:

I agree. If you are waiting of financial aid and would ACTUALLY go to that school, hold it. Otherwise, move out and let someone else get in.

Yeah...no kidding!! If you are holding multiple acceptances and have narrowed it down...please withdraw ASAP from the schools that you do not wish to attend. Help those of us who are in waitlist hell. :scared:

I second the cry for withdrawals if you know you don't really want to go there...waitlist hell is awful!

I won't even be picky and ask that you withdraw from my specific schools, as I have faith in the domino effect...withdraw from any school, open up that spot, so that person can withdraw from where they would rather not go, etc etc until it trickles down to me :D

Waitlist hell definitely. I'm looking for a job in a lab now and don't think anybody would want me knowing I'd drop the job in a heartbeat for an acceptance and that I might only be working a year cuz I'm applying next cycle.

Any advice, guys? How do you tell a prospective employer that you don't intend to be there long and that their resources teaching you might go to waste in a year or two?

[youtube]2WYQQRMLtcc[/youtube]

Members don't see this ad :)
i disagree that it's greedy, if they earned it and they're still considering it and waiting for aid packages, that's their business. I'm still holding 4 of my 6 acceptances because they're all pretty even for me, and so money and the second looks will make a big difference.

i disagree that it's greedy, if they earned it and they're still considering it and waiting for aid packages, that's their business. I'm still holding 4 of my 6 acceptances because they're all pretty even for me, and so money and the second looks will make a big difference.

agreed - you work yourself into such a situation, then you earn the privilege of taking your time in making your decision. besides, you only have ONE a$$. which means you can only take one seat. eventually, someone will matriculate in off the waitlist at each school you eventually drop.

i've personally decided on where i'll most likely go as well, but i'm holding my other acceptances to see if i can pull an amazing fin aid package somewhere.

all in all, i would think people on the waitlist would be ecstatic about hearing that so many people are holding such a large number of acceptances, because that means that there is a chance of alternate pool movement at a lot of different places...

Clearly, if you are holding 6+ acceptances you applied to too many schools. Seems to be a waste of time and money when you can only go to one.

Clearly, if you are holding 6+ acceptances you applied to too many schools. Seems to be a waste of time and money when you can only go to one.

You don't know whether or not you applied to too many schools until you actually go through the process. I applied to 18, ended up withdrawing from 10 and had quite a few acceptances (starting to withdraw from them), so I did apply to too many. But if I ended up with 0 acceptances, then clearly I would've thought that 18 was too few.

agreed - you work yourself into such a situation, then you earn the privilege of taking your time in making your decision. besides, you only have ONE a$$. which means you can only take one seat. eventually, someone will matriculate in off the waitlist at each school you eventually drop.

i've personally decided on where i'll most likely go as well, but i'm holding my other acceptances to see if i can pull an amazing fin aid package somewhere.

all in all, i would think people on the waitlist would be ecstatic about hearing that so many people are holding such a large number of acceptances, because that means that there is a chance of alternate pool movement at a lot of different places...

I honestly didn't think that there would be that many people holding the higher number of seats (ie 4+). I would be curious to see what the poll would look like if there was a 'more than 6' option.

However, I know at least for me, people holding the acceptances until the last possible day sucks. I don't have all summer to wait for the seats to open, as my only acceptance starts at the end of June and I would much, much rather attend a different school for personal reasons where I am waitlisted. I agree that if you could truly and honestly see yourself going somewhere, then you should hold the seat UNTIL you get your financial aid package. I know these are starting to get sent out in earnest it seems. If you get the package to a non-top choice, and it isn't a full ride, then you should cut it loose even if it isn't May 14th yet. Give us poor waitlistees a chance!

Waitlist hell definitely. I'm looking for a job in a lab now and don't think anybody would want me knowing I'd drop the job in a heartbeat for an acceptance and that I might only be working a year cuz I'm applying next cycle.

Any advice, guys? How do you tell a prospective employer that you don't intend to be there long and that their resources teaching you might go to waste in a year or two?

Rule #1: Do not tell a prospective employer that you will leave the job as soon as you are accepted. In other words, don't bring it up unless the employer asks what you're future plans are.
Rule #2: Most labs only want research assitants/techs for 1-2 years. In other words, you're not a valuable asset to the lab with just a Bachelors. Most likely, they won't mind if you only plan on being there until medical school.

Rule #1: Do not tell a prospective employer that you will leave the job as soon as you are accepted. In other words, don't bring it up unless the employer asks what you're future plans are.
Rule #2: Most labs only want research assitants/techs for 1-2 years. In other words, you're not a valuable asset to the lab with just a Bachelors. Most likely, they won't mind if you only plan on being there until medical school.

Why on count #1?

Holding acceptances is a pretty sh*tty thing to do. I can understand it if someone is honestly torn between two schools and is waiting on the best financial aid offer, but doing it just for the hell of it (or to attend the second-look weekend for the free stuff) is lame.

I turned down 4 interviews after getting into a school I would take over them, and most recently I've turned down my NYU and UPitt acceptances. Why prolong other people's wait-list anxiety?

I understand holding onto schools that you are torn between but let go of the others. It may not help you but it helps everyone else waiting to see where they will go or if they will have to apply to med school again. TX applications start in about a month.

Holding acceptances is a pretty sh*tty thing to do. I can understand it if someone is honestly torn between two schools and is waiting on the best financial aid offer, but doing it just for the hell of it (or to attend the second-look weekend for the free stuff) is lame.

I turned down 4 interviews after getting into a school I would take over them, and most recently I've turned down my NYU and UPitt acceptances. Why prolong other people's wait-list anxiety?

Good job!

[youtube]2WYQQRMLtcc[/youtube]

i just threw up in my mouth a little bit

on-topic: i'm holding two acceptances just to be sure that i am making the right decision. i won't qualify for financial aid anywhere so that's not the issue. i just need to be REALLY sure that i want to leave chicago...

in all likelihood, i'll be dropping one next week.

One reason to drop some of your multiple acceptances is if you are also waitlisted by a school you prefer. It is just possible that when you drop an acceptance thatt you don't intend to use, it could open up a spot at a school you would like to go to but are waitlisted at. Kinda a domino effect...if that makes sense. So if you are waitlisted, dropping a few places you don't intend to go could be the start of something big.

Is there a date when financial packages come out or typically come out? Also do you get financial aid info for schools you are waitlisted at?

Thanks

Is there a date when financial packages come out or typically come out? Also do you get financial aid info for schools you are waitlisted at?

Thanks

I know some schools are already sending out fin aid for people they have accepted, but also some aren't planning on sending it out until June or later. The best bet would be to call your acceptances and ask their office when you could expect it.

Also, they don't give packages to people who are waitlisted. Only if you are pulled and subsequently accept it, then they will start a package for you. So typically you have to decide if you want off the waitlist before they would give you a detailed package.

Posts like this make me smile. Thanks a lot!

This is a great poll. It makes me feel better being a "0" and on 2 wait-lists with no word (post-interview) from a third school.

There are 221 people holding 588 spots, and 64 zeros. Are schools being over conservative in handing out acceptances, or is this forum just unrepresentative? Wait, obviously the latter. Damn you SDNers.