docinthemaking

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Definitely more from what I've heard at my interviews. Don't know by how much though.

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I know that schools say they are breaking records for the number of apps they are receiving. However, I'm not sure if this is due to a record number of applicants or the usual number of applicants applying to many more schools.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
VPDcurt said:
I know that schools say they are breaking records for the number of apps they are receiving. However, I'm not sure if this is due to a record number of applicants or the usual number of applicants applying to many more schools.
Interesting point. Clearly the number of "applications" is up by a lot, according to adcoms at most interviews. But it's probably impossible to know how many more "applicants" there are or if they are just each applying to more places. I suppose greater waitlist activity in mid-May than usual will suggest the latter. Still pans out to a very competitive year.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Anyone know how many applied last year? I thought i read somewhere that something like 33,000 or 34,000 applicants?

Larsitron

Mac Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Rochester, NY
Status
Medical Student
Law2Doc said:
Interesting point. Clearly the number of "applications" is up by a lot, according to adcoms at most interviews. But it's probably impossible to know how many more "applicants" there are or if they are just each applying to more places. I suppose greater waitlist activity in mid-May than usual will suggest the latter. Still pans out to a very competitive year.
Wouldn't the absolute number of AMCAS applications be a good indicator? Granted there are those non-AMCAS schools, but I'd imagine that everyone who applied to them would have also filled out an AMCAS for their other places right?

abracadabra

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2005
Status
Washington, D.C., October 20, 2004 - The number of applicants to U.S. medical schools increased for the second year in a row, according to data released today by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). Almost 36,000 individuals applied to attend medical school in the 2004-2005 school year, a 2.7 percent increase over last year's applicant pool of 34,791.

heres the full article released by aamc:

http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/pressrel/2004/041020.htm