How many applied this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouslygeorge

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many applied over all this year? Or in general terms if it was more than last year?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely more from what I've heard at my interviews. Don't know by how much though.

I know that schools say they are breaking records for the number of apps they are receiving. However, I'm not sure if this is due to a record number of applicants or the usual number of applicants applying to many more schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
VPDcurt said:
I know that schools say they are breaking records for the number of apps they are receiving. However, I'm not sure if this is due to a record number of applicants or the usual number of applicants applying to many more schools.

Interesting point. Clearly the number of "applications" is up by a lot, according to adcoms at most interviews. But it's probably impossible to know how many more "applicants" there are or if they are just each applying to more places. I suppose greater waitlist activity in mid-May than usual will suggest the latter. Still pans out to a very competitive year.

Anyone know how many applied last year? I thought i read somewhere that something like 33,000 or 34,000 applicants?

Law2Doc said:
Interesting point. Clearly the number of "applications" is up by a lot, according to adcoms at most interviews. But it's probably impossible to know how many more "applicants" there are or if they are just each applying to more places. I suppose greater waitlist activity in mid-May than usual will suggest the latter. Still pans out to a very competitive year.

Wouldn't the absolute number of AMCAS applications be a good indicator? Granted there are those non-AMCAS schools, but I'd imagine that everyone who applied to them would have also filled out an AMCAS for their other places right?

According to the AAMC, there were 35,735 applicants for 2004. Comparitively, there were 45,000 applicants in 2004 but there is a definite upward trend that we are in the middle of. But MCAT scores and GPAs have been rising since that time so there are more qualified applicants as time passes.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2004/2004summary.htm

Washington, D.C., October 20, 2004 - The number of applicants to U.S. medical schools increased for the second year in a row, according to data released today by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). Almost 36,000 individuals applied to attend medical school in the 2004-2005 school year, a 2.7 percent increase over last year's applicant pool of 34,791.

heres the full article released by aamc:

http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/pressrel/2004/041020.htm