how many attempts before we get into school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yahoo31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.I would like to thank everyone who contributes on SDN.I was just wondering as to the number of attempts/years on an average does a foreign trained dentist spend before they get accepted into school in the US.I was thinking that if people who have got accepted share their experiences,it would be helpful to others who are in the process.
I would be grateful if you guys share yr experiences about how many times did you apply before you got accepted and what did you improve in yr application that got you into dental school .Would really appreciate your inputs .Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

i request you guys to please reply to the post as ther are many of us who dont feel very confident after we dont make it in the first attempt.so please do post yr replies.thanks.

As far i as know u hv a chance to take ex 3 times a yr with a 3 mon gap in bt the attempts n hv to wait for an yr .....n regarding improving ur resume u can always work in health centers 2 days per week or do a course some thg related ,improve the sop etc...never give up keep trying until u reach ur goal one day def u vl.....:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the reply diastema08.
I was actually trying to know ,on an average, how many times do foreign trained dentists have to apply , before they get accepted into school.Meaning that how many people get admitted the 1st time they apply , on an average how many years / admission cycles does it take generally beofre one gets accepted, thats what i was trying to know.

You know it s difficult to generalize. There are ppl who got in the first time and others who dint get in the 5th time. Get a good application with good NBDE, gpa, resume and sop and be confident.Gl

once in the States and I got it

Tough Question Yahoo....

It is different for every one but for me it took 2 tries, took the NDBE I and II only once (87/77), GPA 2.83 ECE, 3.45 WES, TOEFL ibt 99. Although I speak and understand pretty good english, I had a couple of tries at TOEFL (which is what slowed me down). In my opinion one should have competative scores (i.e. Part I 90+, GPA 3.0+, TOEFL 100+, excellent SOP, and a good CV). With this one should have a good chance for an interview, then it is up to you how you perform at the practical exam (if they have one) or personal interview.

Good luck

Dentalbug

dentalbug is right...competitive scores, good work experience and a good SOP are important.
I got in the first try...most ppl i know got in their first attempt...if u have good credentials..u can get the interview..after that it depends on how u present urself to the adcom ppl and a lot of luck!
Do ur best and leave the rest to the one above!!:thumbup:

thank you rtvj,dentalbug,poumpy and snighda.
thnks for thr replies.can u tell me where you guys are studying currently or if u already have obtained yr dds/dmd, which shools did u attend?

No prb..I will be starting school at Penn in less than a month!!!
Good luck!

thank you rtvj,dentalbug,poumpy and snighda.
thnks for thr replies.can u tell me where you guys are studying currently or if u already have obtained yr dds/dmd, which shools did u attend?

how to improve toefl score give mme some advice especially reading and listening

I had to do this, so I am well aware of problems. You may understand and know how to read and listen properly, but most probably your problems may be that you are NOT practicing the right way for the exam. TOEFL is really not about how you read or listen, but your strategy and approach to the exam. So following is my advice:

Reading: Do Timed tests - meaning if a reading section is 20 min, then try to complete it in 18, this helped me a lot, also WATCH discovery and animal planet, these will give you general knowledge.

Listening: For this try to be around native English speakers, so you can hear their sentences, etc. Watch CNN, ESPN, FOX News, mad money, etc., these channels have great speakers.

Good luck

Dentalbug

listen to your local news, try talking to someone who has good english. there are a lot of 'free' toefl practice tests online....practice them...just go on google and typle 'free toefl practice' and ALOT of tests come up. Toefl is not a big deal if know decent english.