How many audition rotations to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soko23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing pediatrics (I know, not competitive) but my step 1 score is low with a failed attempt. I figured it would be best to do audition rotations to help out my application. I've heard some people say that 1-2 rotations would be fine but I'm worried that won't be enough. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in doing pediatrics (I know, not competitive) but my step 1 score is low with a failed attempt. I figured it would be best to do audition rotations to help out my application. I've heard some people say that 1-2 rotations would be fine but I'm worried that won't be enough. Any thoughts?

I know someone with a failed step 1 (passed second time, did considerably better on step 2) who did 3 away rotations and ended up with 6 interviews in peds. 2/3 away rotations resulted in interviews, the one that didn't screened out based on the failed step 1. With a failed step 1 apply broadly and early and you should be fine.

I have a friend who was junior aoa, steps > 260, md/phd with multiple pubs and he still did 4 aways in addition to a sub-i at home. Overkill? Maybe, but come summer I'll be doing 4 aways as well. If you're a friendly, outgoing person, who can really kill an audition rotation then you have everything to gain by doing more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a good advisor in peds.

The number may not be as important as where you do them.
If you're chances at matching are low, do them at non-competitive sites and try to have a great rotation. That should at least get you an interview and maybe a spot.