How many away rotations are you applying to? (for EM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quepatho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at the end of 3rd year & I'm planning on EM residency. So, as far as I can tell, I need at least one EM away rotation, two would be preferable (taking into account the fact that my home institution has no EM residency). I guess I was thinking maybe 6 away rotation apps for 2 spots? Sound reasonable?

Also, is there any super-easy-to-get-into EM rotation that I should apply to as backup?

Some of the applications are scaring me with all the paperwork, personal statement, cover letter, step 1, immunizations, blah blah blah blah blah (I don't have THAT much free time). :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Most rotations on VSAS are first-come, first-served. Get everything in when the application opens, and you'll get 2 rotations easily.

Don't apply to too many rotations. Apparently some programs will deny your residency app if you turned down an away rotation at their program. Lovely eh?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't apply to too many rotations. Apparently some programs will deny your residency app if you turned down an away rotation at their program. Lovely eh?

There's a big difference between turning down an offer and going back on your word after you've already accepted the offer.