How many biology labs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seannlim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example, University of the Pacific (like many other schools) require biology w/ labs

Required Courses Semesters Quarters
Biological Sciences with laboratory 4 6
Physics with laboratory 2 3
Inorganic Chemistry with laboratory 2 3
Organic Chemistry* 2 3
English, Communication or Speech** 2 3

Does this mean you need a lab with EVERY biology course you take? I only have one lab course that I've taken (It is listed as a separate course) because my school doesn't offer lab for most first and second year courses.

Anyone have any idea? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

it should mean 2 sem hours or 3 qtr hours. So for most schools its gonna be at least one yr of biology labs which can be 2 semesters of labs or 3 quarters of labs. Then additional schools may be specific and require anatomy & microbiology labs. As long as you take one years worth (6 semester units/12 quarter units of labs) you will be fine. Idk if this cleared it up for you or not, but if you are on semester system just take one lab each semester and you'll be fine.

I was in a set program in my first year. In that year, our schedules were pre-made for us.
In the first term, we had one Biology class with NO lab worth 3 credits. In the second term, we had one Biology class worth 3 credits AND a Biology lab worth 2 credits. The lab was worth two credits, not one, so I believe it was to relate to both Biology courses. Total first year credits = 8 credits

In my second year, I took two Biology courses with no labs. Total 6 credits.

Does this work?

Members don't see this ad :)
you need 2 (6 units I think) semester courses of lab, or 3 quarter (12units) courses of lab. so based on school system is its by semester or quarter?

So I need two biology courses with labs, right? But if that was the case, each lab would be worth 1 credit. If I took one biology lab worth 2 credits, does that replace two 1 credit labs?

I'd just email the adcom from a school and ask them or just ask your school counselor/advisor, or any pre-dent/health advisor.

I should have done that originally. Thanks for the help!

I have the same question. When it states "1 year Biology with lab," is that implying 3 quarters of Biology lab? Or just 1? Most students don't take that many labs..

2) Will independent biology research count for this requirement, if it does indeed mean 3 quarters?

I have the same question. When it states "1 year Biology with lab," is that implying 3 quarters of Biology lab? Or just 1? Most students don't take that many labs..

2) Will independent biology research count for this requirement, if it does indeed mean 3 quarters?

Are you on the quarter system? I was too, and we just switched to semesters. I have to tell you though, most students here are who are pre-med/pre-dent DO have at least 3 quarters of Bio with lab. Now, by Bio, this can be anything like regular biology, microbiology, and anatomy. So on quarters, I have 5 quarters of bio with lab.
I would ask the specific schools you are applying to if what you have will cover the requirements. Normally, they say they require 6-8 semester hours of bio with lab. 5 quarter hours = 3 quarter hours, so it varies from school to school. Call and check!

Also, for 2) I don't think so unfortunately. But, again, don't take my word for it! Call and ask.

Hope that helps!

Are you on the quarter system? I was too, and we just switched to semesters. I have to tell you though, most students here are who are pre-med/pre-dent DO have at least 3 quarters of Bio with lab. Now, by Bio, this can be anything like regular biology, microbiology, and anatomy. So on quarters, I have 5 quarters of bio with lab.
I would ask the specific schools you are applying to if what you have will cover the requirements. Normally, they say they require 6-8 semester hours of bio with lab. 5 quarter hours = 3 quarter hours, so it varies from school to school. Call and check!

Also, for 2) I don't think so unfortunately. But, again, don't take my word for it! Call and ask.

Hope that helps!

On second thought, now I'm inclined to think that "1 year with lab" means 1 lab total. The reason I say this is because it also says "1 year with lab" for General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry..but there aren't multiple organic or gen chem labs, just one each!

Not every course has a lab. But I believe most schools encourage you to take a lab with the course if its offered (if its offered, I would take it). Gen Bio at my school doesn't have a lab. But Zoology and Genetics does and Micro and a few of the other upper level courses I plan to take.

it should mean 2 sem hours or 3 qtr hours. So for most schools its gonna be at least one yr of biology labs which can be 2 semesters of labs or 3 quarters of labs. Then additional schools may be specific and require anatomy & microbiology labs. As long as you take one years worth (6 semester units/12 quarter units of labs) you will be fine. Idk if this cleared it up for you or not, but if you are on semester system just take one lab each semester and you'll be fine.

You should really make sure that the information you are posting on this site is accurate man! It can really mess with applicants' heads :/ I have been furiously calling schools today to verify your information as it came as quite an unpleasant surprise last night..most schools require just 1 quarter of Biology lab!

So does UCLA requires only 1 quarter of lab or 3 quarters of lab?
I am still confused... @-@

So does UCLA requires only 1 quarter of lab or 3 quarters of lab?
I am still confused... @-@

They didn't pick up when I called last week.

UOP said 6 quarters which is absolutely insane.

yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks UOP's bio reqs are ridiculous..