How many cases as 1st surgeon does an average orthopaedic surgery resident in the US graduate with?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent EU

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many cases as 1st surgeon does an average orthopaedic surgery resident in the US graduate with? And how many 1st assists do you have by that time? I understand that the case diversity differs from program to proram, but what would the rough distribution be between trauma/elective orthopaedics?​

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say that the average number of cases is between 1500 and 2000, with more procedures than that (maybe 2500-3500) if you allow for multiple procedure codes per surgery.

The ACGME has minimums for a group of orthopaedic surgeries, which they expect programs to allow for all residents to complete. It isn't very difficult for most programs to reach these levels:
ACL reconstruction: 10
Forearm/Wrist (like distal radius fractures): 20
Hip fractures: 30
Humerus fractures in gets (supracondylar fractures): 5
Knee arthroscopy: 30
Shoulder arthroscopy: 20
Spine decompression/fusion: 15
Oncology cases: 10
Pediatric cases (of all types): 200
Carpal tunnel release: 10
Femur and tibia fractures (like, intramedullary nailing): 25
Ankle/Hindfoot arthrodesis: 5
Ankle fractures: 15
Total hips: 30
Total knees: 30

This is not complete, but is a cross section of what is expected. In residency my classmates and I all easily reached these numbers, doubling the minimums in a majority of categories. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
How much of a case is the resident expected to perform for it to count?