How many class hours at UCSD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitty-kitty

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've heard that UCSD students are miserable because there are so many lecture/class/lab hours and they essentially still have a "grading" system, with Honors/P/F (as opposed to other schools that are just P/F for the first two years).

What's the latest on all that? Heard of any curriculum/grading changes recently?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

correction

pass/no pass for first semester, then after that it is honors/pass/no pass

in terms of the honors "they don't tell anyone and keep a tally of students who are scoring in the top percentile"...

Kitty-Kitty,

The day of my interview the students who led the tour told me that they have a lot of say in the changes that take place at the school. The students told me they are trying to replace the H/P/F system (that is implemented after the first quarter/semester) with simply a P/F system for the first two years. In terms of class hours, I remember receiving a sheet of paper in my interview packet listing the hours for all of the schools in California. If I remember correctly, UCSD wasn't so bad. I think it has the third most hours among the California schools and is below the average of all US medical schools.

I hope this helps. Also, it isn't so bad having a vigorous curriculum. You will do well on the boards and, more importantly, be a *better* and *more knowledgeable* physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by MamboKing:

"they don't tell anyone and keep a tally of students who are scoring in the top percentile"...•••••can you clarify what "they don't tell anyone" means? will it show up on your transcript?

I found the sheet that California was talking about. These are the number of hours in preclinical curricula at the california medical schools:

UC Irvine 1467
UC San Francisco 1475
UC San Diego 1517
UC Los Angeles 1520
Stanford 1571
UC Davis 1597

National Average 1592

So apparently, UCSD doesn't have too many class hours compared to other schools. Note that UCSD has overhauled its curriculum this year and cut down the class hours by a ton. The majority of UCSD's "tough school" reputation is because of the old curriculum, however they are notorious for difficult basic science courses. Great school though, I'll probably be there in the fall. Hope to see y'all there!