How many classes is it okay not to take before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bepiozo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Junior now and senior year I plan to take anatomy, physiology, and biochemistry. I'm going to apply to schools the summer before my senior year, do you think it'd be okay that I don't have those 3 requirements done?

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously, if you're missing only those three classes, go for it and apply. As long as you have a majority of your prereqs completed, do it. Make sure you take the OAT soon, also.

Schools understand that most students still have a year of school left when they apply. It's not a problem. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Berkeley says having more than 4 outstanding pre-reqs is detrimental for their application.

Berkeley says having more than 4 outstanding pre-reqs is detrimental for their application.

Oh, wow. I guess I can understand that, since that could potentially be two science sequences (like not having taken Ochem and physics).

I'm a Junior now and senior year I plan to take anatomy, physiology, and biochemistry. I'm going to apply to schools the summer before my senior year, do you think it'd be okay that I don't have those 3 requirements done?

Just out of curiosity, what school are those classes requirements for? i think you should be ok without them since other schools dont even have those as requirements. Also you probably cover some of that stuff in Biology, Chem and Ochem....so as long as you have those 3 and physics i would assume that one would be fine, even though in other schools those classes (anatomy, physiology, biochem) are "recommended"

I've been kind of wondering the same thing about how many classes it was ok to leave until the last year. I am from a smaller school that only offers their advanced bios once a year and their advanced biochems (for my major) once every two years, so in order to graduate on time and meet all of the requirements for optometry school I will be leaving micro, physio, stats, and speech all until my senior year. I really hope that's not too much to leave out.

Just out of curiosity, what school are those classes requirements for? i think you should be ok without them since other schools dont even have those as requirements. Also you probably cover some of that stuff in Biology, Chem and Ochem....so as long as you have those 3 and physics i would assume that one would be fine, even though in other schools those classes (anatomy, physiology, biochem) are "recommended"

Those are required for SCCO and Berkeley, but I'll also be applying to ICO and SUNY.

Oh yeah, and umm also how important is your senior year GPA ? (not that I'd EVER slack off my senior year :rolleyes:)

Oh yeah, and umm also how important is your senior year GPA ? (not that I'd EVER slack off my senior year :rolleyes:)

Depends. If you are actually ACCEPTED immediately, your final GPA is practically irrelevant-- assuming you get at least Bs in your remaining pre-req classes and maintain grades that are equal to or better than Cs in the rest of your classes. If, however, you are NOT accepted immediately many schools ask for your fall or spring grades to make final decisions.

Moral of the story: wait until you actually have an acceptance in hand before you start relaxing (not that you ever would).

New this year, thanks to OptomCAS:

I'm pretty sure that it is mandatory that all applicants submit fall grades to OptomCAS during their "update window" in december/january.