OrangeStorm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi everyone, I need some suggestions here because I asked the same question to my advisor, he didn't help at all.
I am planning to take DAT early next spring, about Jan. or Feb. which means I will have to start to study it this fall. I will not be able to take Kaplan course, because their schedule conflicts with my class. So I'll have to study on my own, which takes a lot motivations for me. My class schedule looks like: Genetics, O Chem Lab, Anatomy and Physiology II, Accounting and one other class relatively easier. These make up 15 credit hours. I know people who studied with Kaplan lower their class loads, just so having time for the DAT class. So did anyone of you study DAT on your own? How much time did you devote to it? And should I drop one class? Does 13 credit hours look too little on the transcript? Sorry I know I have too many questions, but my advisor is not helpful at all. I really appreciate it.

beannaithe

Bionerd
10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
Phila, PA
Status
Dentist
OrangeStorm said:
Hi everyone, I need some suggestions here because I asked the same question to my advisor, he didn't help at all.
I am planning to take DAT early next spring, about Jan. or Feb. which means I will have to start to study it this fall. I will not be able to take Kaplan course, because their schedule conflicts with my class. So I'll have to study on my own, which takes a lot motivations for me. My class schedule looks like: Genetics, O Chem Lab, Anatomy and Physiology II, Accounting and one other class relatively easier. These make up 15 credit hours. I know people who studied with Kaplan lower their class loads, just so having time for the DAT class. So did anyone of you study DAT on your own? How much time did you devote to it? And should I drop one class? Does 13 credit hours look too little on the transcript? Sorry I know I have too many questions, but my advisor is not helpful at all. I really appreciate it.
I took 14 credits when I studied for the DAT and I thought I was going to die. But you suck it up and get through it...though I warn you not to expect much of a social life....

I studied 2 hours a day on weekdays, and about the same on weekends until I got close to the test. The month before the test, I took part of a practice test every night for during the week and 4-6 hours on weekend. Weekend before 8 hours a day, the day before off.

Don't put immense pressure on yourself when you're doing it. If you're tired, then just don't study that night. If you have another exam, put off the DAT stuff until the next night. I did that so I didn't burn out and get fed up. If you feel yourself getting overwhelmed, take a couple of days off. Nothing's written in stone. The way I studied was reading the blue Kaplan book, over and over and over and over.

Start with it as soon as you start school and even though it'll suck for like a week, it'll quickly become part of your routine. 13 credit hours doesn't look too low on a transcript provided that your grades are good. I took 14 the semester of the DAT, 13 the semester I was interviewing, and 12 before I graduated. Just make sure you're not taking 12 credits of a fluff classes like "Dancing Backwards" and "How to Stand on Your Head."

I think you should be fine. Just continue to stick with it and apply early. :)

About the Ads