How many credits did you take...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Presse

Due to the fact....
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how many credits you took while studying for the MCAT. Please include other info like what classes in particular and other obligations.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering how many credits you took while studying for the MCAT. Please include other info like what classes in particular and other obligations.

Thanks guys.

I started studying from Sept. 2011 - Apr. 2012.

Studied for the MCAT ~2-3 hours every day; took a practice exam every 2~3 weeks

- Volunteering at a children's hospital (2nd semester)
- Leadership position on campus that dealt w/ student health issues (1st semester was a gnarly one...)
- A co-advisor for a YMCA program every week
- A volunteer coordinator for a mentoring program
- Peer advisor to freshmen (1st sem)
- Weekly chemistry tutor (2nd sem)
- Shadowing almost every week (usually Tuesdays for ~5-6 hours)

1st semester:

Genetics, Analytical chem w/ lab, chemistry seminar, Western Civilizations: Genetically Modified Crops, Leadership training, teaching assistant, and biological psychology

18 credits

Genetics took a lot of time and so did the Western Civilizations class (policy paper that required extensive research in the realm of GMO's)

2nd semester (I planned so that I would take a lot fewer credits):

Dissemination of chem research (writing a long paper on my beer research), American Immigrant Literature, Leadership training, Developmental psychology, personality & individual differences, and interpersonal communication

14 credits

Last edited:
I started studying from Sept. 2011 - Apr. 2012.

Studied for the MCAT ~2-3 hours every day; took a practice exam every 2~3 weeks

- Volunteering at a children's hospital (2nd semester)
- Leadership position on campus that dealt w/ student health issues (1st semester was a gnarly one...)
- A co-advisor for a YMCA program every week
- A volunteer coordinator for a mentoring program
- Peer advisor to freshmen (1st sem)
- Shadowing almost every week (usually Tuesdays for ~5-6 hours)

1st semester:

Genetics, Analytical chem w/ lab, chemistry seminar, Western Civilizations: Genetically Modified Crops, Leadership training, teaching assistant, and biological psychology

18 credits

Genetics took a lot of time and so did the Western Civilizations class (policy paper that required extensive research in the realm of GMO's)

2nd semester (I planned so that I would take a lot fewer credits):

Dissemination of chem research (writing a long paper on my beer research), American Immigrant Literature, Leadership training, Developmental psychology, personality & individual differences, and interpersonal communication

14 credits

Wow. How did you do?

My score was by no means stellar; it was just good enough; I was stoked regardless haha

9 PS - 10 BS - 10 VR and P

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied 3 months over the summer. 1 credit class, but it was independent research credit. I was in the lab 15-20 hours a week, plus ~8 hours of volunteering. I highly recommend people don't take classes while studying for the MCAT. Not sure how people do it with class...

Studying from May 2012 - Jan 2013 (Planning on taking the January test)

I spent the past summer in lab about ~40 hrs a week while taking Kaplan MCAT course.

Right now I am still studying for MCAT while taking 16 credit hrs of engineering courses and working in lab for ~20 hrs a week. I study about ~5 hrs a week at the moment (I need to do better). I HIGHLY advise NOT to take classes with studying if its possible for your situation. It is so hard to study for MCAT for me when I have like 1 or 2 tests a week in my classes. I am actually very frustrated right now by my situation. Its very hard to find time to study for MCAT along with a full load of courses.

I agree.

Don't take classes. I'm taking a pretty heavy load and thought I could juggle, considering I just spent my entire summer drowning myself in this stuff.

I've come to the conclusion that I absolutely cannot spend any time on the MCAT this semester (if I want a 4.0), so instead of taking it in January I plan to take it in April.

AND KILL IT.

13 credit hours: o-chem, physics, philosophy, geography

35 hours shadowing

35 hours clinical volunteering, some non-clinical volunteering

8 - 10 hours a week work

Preparation for early summer MCAT

I highly recommend a mid-summer MCAT.

Last edited:

Thanks guys.

1.) I am taking 12 but they're not blow offs.

[3] Advanced Biochemistry
[3] Human Genetics
[3] Sociology of Healthcare
[3] Literature in Medicine

2.) I also work 10 hours a week as a tutor/TA.

3.) I also volunteer at the Hospice 4 hours a week.

I'm trying to follow the SN2 schedule. Any advice?

I'm doing it right now. 15 Credit Hours, Volunteering two places 15+ Hours each, studying for the MCAT. Getting married, moving in with her. Pretty busy semester.

I'm also going to try school+mcat study next semester. I'm only taking 12 credits: physics 2, cell/molecular bio, and research. I've planned to set aside 25-30 hours a week for mcat study, 4 hours a week volunteering, and 5-10 a week working. I'm kinda worried about burning out, but I did orgo 1 and 2 over the summer, studying 10-12 hours a day, so I don't think this will be any worse than that.

I said its nearly impossible before and I stand by that somewhat. I'm the type that gets pretty paranoid about my grades, so come test time I'm consumed by them regardless of how prepared I am. Because of this I couldn't pick up an mcat book when I had a biochem or physics test, even if I was totally ready for the exam. I felt I could always be just a little more ready.

With that said I also work about 25 hours per week. With that time freed up it would probably be much more manageable, but somebody's gotta pay dem bills.

Since I am contemplating on adding a 2nd major, I might take like 9 credits of those spread out so I can have ample time. Perhaps around 6-7 per weekday. More on weekends. Volunteer and employment will have to be worked in.

I have 14 credits this semester and am scheduled for 19 credits next semester. I am in Physics I now and II next semester so that should be fresh in my memory. I am taking 19 so I can graduate on time. MCAT is scheduled for 5/11.

Thanks guys.

I wonder about this as well. I'm planning on finishing up most of my pre-reqs in the next year and then making a three month study plan for May-June-July-Beginning of August in 2014 and then taking the MCAT in the beginning/middle of August 2014 which will be right before the start of my "senior year". I hope to have only volunteering on my plate so that my time can be dedicated strictly to studying however I don't know if that will be possible for my financially.

I then want to take my actual senior year and the year after and finish up all of my classes for my degree, the spring of my actual senior year I want to begin applying for Med Schools so I'll start a year later than "everyone else" (40% of people take 5 years to get a 4 year degree... or so the statistics say) abut I'm certainly going to look better to schools if I take the time to make my grades better and get the best grade I can on the MCAT, right? Which means I would actually start Med School in... 2016.

Thoughts?

13 units:
-biochem
-genetics
-infectious disease
-social science

12 hrs/week working in a genetics lab, which I'll be increasing to 16 hrs/week shortly...