how many days between taking Step 1 and Comlex 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exacto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gonna plan to take USMLE step 1 first and then Comlex 1. How many days did you guys take between taking step and taking comlex? I was told 3-7 days to allow to study OMT topics. was thinking about 4 or 5 days. Is that enough time or what a the general consensus?

Members don't see this ad.

I did 4-5 days between. I went camping with no study materials for a few days and then did a little OMM right before COMLEX. I think it’s important to recharge. The COMLEX was an energy drainer compared to USMLE.

I am on the fence about 2 days being better cause your not gonna learn anything anyways or taking a week to try and recharge. I probably would need a week if I expected to learn any new info inbetween the two. In reality, I would do a couple days because it doesn't make that much of a difference and a couple days of pure OMM is just terrible anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did 2 days. Didn't study anything the first day and then just reviewed Chapman's points and viscerosomatics the second day.

Do a week if you're nervous about enough time but not worried about burning out.

Do a couple days if you're worried about burning out but not nervous about enough time.

I've been told about 4 ish days works well from people who took it recently. That's what I'm doing too. Bust it for Step first, spend one day decompressing, then cram Savarese for a few days and take COMLEX

4-5 days if you have gone through Savarese, annotate it, and do all the quests w/ solid understanding at least 1x before dedicated time

7-10 days if it's your first time doing the mentioned steps during dedicated time

4-5 days if you have gone through Savarese, annotate it, and do all the quests w/ solid understanding at least 1x before dedicated time

7-10 days if it's your first time doing the mentioned steps during dedicated time

That's insane. My school probably had probably the worst OMM in the country. 20-30 min lectures, barely in the lab at all and I studied 3 days and thought it was too much. Read Savarese in a couple hours and do all the OMM questions from Combank and Comquest. Know Sacrum, Chapmans, and Sympathetic levels like the back of your hand and that's it.

That's insane. My school probably had probably the worst OMM in the country. 20-30 min lectures, barely in the lab at all and I studied 3 days and thought it was too much. Read Savarese in a couple hours and do all the OMM questions from Combank and Comquest. Know Sacrum, Chapmans, and Sympathetic levels like the back of your hand and that's it.

Dude, you're just so much smarter than the rest of us normal human beings. I also suck ass at this thing. I also hate cramming.

It alone took me about 2-3 days to go through the 300-400 OMM quests on the back of Savarese during my dedicated.

But, I recently took the COMLEX, and they have definitely moved into other style of quests nowadays. The diff are more cranial, austere ortho tests, and self stretches quests now. If anything, a lot of people who recently took the OMM COMATs say that the OMM quests on the COMLEX 1 these days are more similar to the OMM COMAT.

So, for people preparing for the OMM portion of the COMLEX Level 1, I won't even bother with the Saverese nonsense. Just download Turn Up 2 OMT Anki deck from one of our members here and ANKI that crap 2-3 days in advance and you should kill all the OMM quests on the COMLEX Level 1.

There are some mistakes on his deck, but that's why you pay money for your school OMM bible. That deck, plus self made cards for stretches, and CS/ME tender points and techniques will prepare you well. Don't even need to pay for OMG OMT or any other nonsense.

Reactions: 1 users
Dude, you're just so much smarter than the rest of us normal human beings. I also suck ass at this thing. I also hate cramming.

It alone took me about 2-3 days to go through the 300-400 OMM quests on the back of Savarese during my dedicated.

But, I recently took the COMLEX, and they have definitely moved into other style of quests nowadays. The diff are more cranial, austere ortho tests, and self stretches quests now. If anything, a lot of people who recently took the OMM COMATs say that the OMM quests on the COMLEX 1 these days are more similar to the OMM COMAT.

So, for people preparing for the OMM portion of the COMLEX Level 1, I won't even bother with the Saverese nonsense. Just download Turn Up 2 OMT Anki deck from one of our members here and ANKI that crap 2-3 days in advance and you should kill all the OMM quests on the COMLEX Level 1.

There are some mistakes on his deck, but that's why you pay money for your school OMM bible. That deck, plus self made cards for stretches, and CS/ME tender points and techniques will prepare you well. Don't even need to pay for OMG OMT or any other nonsense.
OMG OMT is free now. Like the company went broke or something and have it away for free. You can find it on YouTube

So, I'm preparing for my OMM Comat right now. But, so far, the OnlineMed-Ed OMM videos are fantastic. There are 20 videos total, and it takes me a day to pound through 10 videos in 2-3 hrs. So, I highly recommend the OnlineMed-Ed OMM videos plus Turn Up 2 OMT Anki deck to prepare you guys for the OMM section of the COMLEX-1.

The only things that I will add to the Turn Up 2 OMT Anki deck are probably ME + CS tender points and techniques from your OMM school textbook, and self stretches for psoas, tensor fascia latae/IT band, rectus femoris, adductor, QL, piriformis, hamstring, neck muscles, scalenes, pec minor/major, and latissimus dorsi.

These materials will prepare you well for both the OMM portion on the COMLEX 1, OMM COMAT, OMM portion on COMLEX 2, and probably OMM portion of COMLEX 3. It pays to annotate these key points into an ANKI deck that you could always use for the next 3-4 years.

took USMLE on a Monday and COMLEX on Friday..I 100% regret not taking COMLEX sooner bc i was effectively so burnt out. I barely studied OMM. >600 COMLEX

Honestly 2-3 days is plenty of time in between. You will feel really exhausted and be wasting time in between IMHO

I took a week between USMLE and COMLEX 1, and it was too much time. I didn’t care enough to study more by day 5.

I took 4 days between Step 2 and Level 2, and that was about right (1 to relax, 2.5 to cram, .5 to unwind a bit).

So, I'm preparing for my OMM Comat right now. But, so far, the OnlineMed-Ed OMM videos are fantastic. There are 20 videos total, and it takes me a day to pound through 10 videos in 2-3 hrs. So, I highly recommend the OnlineMed-Ed OMM videos plus Turn Up 2 OMT Anki deck to prepare you guys for the OMM section of the COMLEX-1.

The only things that I will add to the Turn Up 2 OMT Anki deck are probably ME + CS tender points and techniques from your OMM school textbook, and self stretches for psoas, tensor fascia latae/IT band, rectus femoris, adductor, QL, piriformis, hamstring, neck muscles, scalenes, pec minor/major, and latissimus dorsi.

These materials will prepare you well for both the OMM portion on the COMLEX 1, OMM COMAT, OMM portion on COMLEX 2, and probably OMM portion of COMLEX 3. It pays to annotate these key points into an ANKI deck that you could always use for the next 3-4 years.

Thank you. I am frankly amazed no one is talking about OMED OMM.

I mean for crying out loud, the vids are free and there are like 25 of them. Who else does that?

I took COMLEX 7 days after Step 1. I took 1 day off to relax and then studied Savarese and did COMBANK questions for the rest of the time to get used to the style of questions again.

I took like 4 days with the first 2 as off days. Could hardly get myself to do any omm studying for last 2 days. Watched omg omt videos and did like twenty green book questions. Still didn't struggle at all with the omm and I suck at it.

I don’t know which school you went to, but I am soooo jealous.

We have 2 hours of lecture and 2 hours of lab EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK.