how many dental applicants in a year nationwide??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albodent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, i tried to look up a couple of stats and could not find anything on the posted question. I hear of schools having 1400 applicanst with only 80 or so spots to fill, but how many are there in U.S. for a certain year? Many people, as they should, apply to a couple of schools to make up the mentioned 1400 in almost every school in the country. Just wondering, thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

albodent said:
Hello guys, i tried to look up a couple of stats and could not find anything on the posted question. I hear of schools having 1400 applicanst with only 80 or so spots to fill, but how many are there in U.S. for a certain year? Many people, as they should, apply to a couple of schools to make up the mentioned 1400 in almost every school in the country. Just wondering, thanx!

Out of 1,239,852,953,230 applicants, 5,239 were selected for spots in U.S. schools. Thats 4.23x10^-7% chance of getting in..... Better try getting your M.D. in the Carribean.... :smuggrin:

BUT HONESTLY.. I heard its something around 1/3 or 1/4 of students get in.. someone correct me if i'm wrong?

dentwannabe said:
Out of 1,239,852,953,230 applicants, 5,239 were selected for spots in U.S. schools. Thats 4.23x10^-7% chance of getting in..... Better try getting your M.D. in the Carribean.... :smuggrin:

BUT HONESTLY.. I heard its something around 1/3 or 1/4 of students get in.. someone correct me if i'm wrong?

Haha, that number actually made me sick, and I already got in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe about 11,000 apps for approx, 5,000 seats so a little less then 50% get in/cycle. But, the # of apps are increasing fast and the seats aren't so get ready to rumble with your competitors!! Get that app look'n good!

each school that i am going to apply to received more than 2000 applications for very few seats, but some received more than 3000 applications. :mad:

issa said:
each school that i am going to apply to received more than 2000 applications for very few seats, but some received more than 3000 applications. :mad:

This is true but people are applyingto more schools nowadays. Ten years ago 8 schools would be a lot, now, 8 is very few. 15 is more normal. Some apply to 20+ schools!!

A bit of advice for those who will be applying for this cycle:
Do NOT be fooled by the 50% chance number. Overall, about half of the applicants may enroll but that does not mean you have a 50-50 chance of getting in. That would be true if every applicant applied to every dental school. But that is not the case.
For example, lets say school A receives a very moderate (underestimating) 1500 applicants for a class of 100. They invite about 500 for interview (33% chance) and then probably accept 200-300 (13-20% chance total). If the same school received 2000 applicants (which is likely), the chances would drop to 10-15%. This is PER school so increase your chances by applying to many schools.

those numbers seem okay, i guess. i do not think that most of the applicants though are very competitive at all. they believe that it does not hurt to try and apply with so-so stats. just in my school there are a couple of people i know that are planning to apply to denta school with F's and D's in their classes and no extracuriculars, shadowing or and dental field related work. it is the money that has blocked their eyes and they can not see around it i guess. thanx for the replies guys!

A lot of people just dont know how the system works. I for one wouldn't know much about getting into dental school if not for student doctor. I go to a tiny school with 1 "premed" advisor, thus making information very limited.

The number of applicants to dental school has varied tremendously in the last 40 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see 14000+/- this next round, partially due to the reapplicants and large number of new applicants. The more applicants, the more stringent the screening process. Supply and demand. Do everything you can to set yourself apart and don't let any opportunities to do so pass you by.