How many dental schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Handsome boy

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a 3.88 GPA, 3.9 science GPA, and my major is biology with a chemistry minor. I attended Oregon State University.
DAT scores: 21 AA, 21 TS, 20 PAT.
Breakdown of my DAT: Bio 20, GC 22, OC 21, PAT 20, RC 20, QR 21.

I have 60 dental shadowing hours, 60+ hospital volunteer hours, less than one year of biochemistry research.

I am not sure about my state of residency because I am not a typical applicant. I am a permanent resident (green card) of the US. I didn't grow up in the US and English is my second language. But I believe I can speak English pretty well.

How many dental schools should I apply to? I plan to apply to 20 schools. Is that enough? What are my chances?
Well, start of by asking your in-state program (OHSU) if you qualify as in-state.

Well, start of by asking your in-state program (OHSU) if you qualify as in-state.
Thank you for your response! I did ask OHSU and they do consider me as in-state because I attended university there. But I want to apply to more schools to increase my chances. How many schools should I apply to? I feel like I need to apply to 20 schools but it would be super expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
your stats are competitive. apply to 10-12. do well on your interviews.

goto the cheapest DS.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your response! I did ask OHSU and they do consider me as in-state because I attended university there. But I want to apply to more schools to increase my chances. How many schools should I apply to? I feel like I need to apply to 20 schools but it would be super expensive.
Most applicants apply to just around 10 schools. Make some connections through ASDA to figure out which schools may provide you the best student support.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any downsides to applying to more schools (other than cost)?

For example, do schools find out you applied to a bunch of schools so they are inclined not to give you an acceptance?

For example, do schools find out you applied to a bunch of schools so they are inclined not to give you an acceptance?
Schools don't know the other schools where you sent in applications.

I suppose it's your money to spend when it comes to applications, but it's very rare to see anyone apply to all 60+ schools. Think of it as "the bachelor/ette": the fewer contenders, the more energy and focus you have on your applicatons to do well. School-specific fees add up.

With this year's cycle, you probably won't have many costs for travel, but I would make sure to spend some money on good business-looking attire so you look respectable with online interviews. In fact, it is possible that because it seems more dental schools are committed to online interview formats that people may apply to more than 10 schools (maybe closer to 15) since you won't have to budget room/travel initially.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Schools don't know the other schools where you sent in applications.

I suppose it's your money to spend when it comes to applications, but it's very rare to see anyone apply to all 60+ schools. Think of it as the bachelor: the fewer contenders, the more energy and focus you have on your applicatons to do well. School-specific fees add up.

With this year's cycle, you probably won't have many costs for travel, but I would make sure to spend some money on good business-looking attire so you look respectable with online interviews.

That's interesting, I was unaware that interviews were going to be conducted online, but it makes sense. Is this a sure thing, or your speculation?

And I see your point, if you apply to fewer schools you can probably focus on each supplemental app better.

That's interesting, I was unaware that interviews were going to be conducted online, but it makes sense. Is this a sure thing, or your speculation?

And I see your point, if you apply to fewer schools you can probably focus on each supplemental app better.
Speculation. Register for the ADEA GoDental Virtual Fair... maybe a few schools will have settled on this by then.

Reactions: 2 users
Stats are awesome. I wouldn't worry much about applying to too many programs. You have a good shot at most schools. Like someone above said, pick the cheapest school.
My stats were comparable to yours when I applied and I only applied to my 2 instate programs and got into both.

Good luck!

There's no downside but it's overkill to apply to that many places. Your stats are good and will be competitive. Focus on writing a solid PS and doing well in the interviews. Your #s demonstrate you're capable of handling DS curriculum. Next question will be - do you have the personality/traits to work hard and be a contributing member of a DS class?

The most important factor is picking the cheapest school.

And if you want to specialize, just goto your state school, crush it, and keep it moving. gl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.