How MANY did you rank??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shahkg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see a post about the places people ranked, but just wondering how many programs overall people ranked.

I only ranked 6 :scared: I don't know if that will be enough from the looks of things. Everyone else has like 10-17 programs in their ROL...oh well too late now.

Members don't see this ad.

ranked eleven programs, for a total of 14 ranks (couples' match)

I think it should work out (or at least I HOPE it should work out)

Basically, I ranked every place that I interviewed with except for two:
Allegheny: really liked it, but it is too physically far from family, friends, etc.
Mount Sinai: did not get a good vibe there at all; too pompous

I couples matched as well. but both of us were so afraid of not matching our list extended to 345. it was such a pain to rank them and making sure they were all correct on two separate rank lists.
just for myself i ranked 17 places because of the couples match thingy, wanted to make sure we get in the same city

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed at 21, and ranked 15 (in 7 states, from HI to CT). I Hope I ranked enough. Good luck to all... :)

Anyone know what % of GS categorical applicants get one of their top 3 choices?

I've heard from one PD that 90-95% of US allopathic med students get one of their top 3. Hope that helps. Personally, I ranked 15 b/c of swirling rumors about how competitive GS is this yr.

txmhn said:
I've heard from one PD that 90-95% of US allopathic med students get one of their top 3. Hope that helps. Personally, I ranked 15 b/c of swirling rumors about how competitive GS is this yr.

There's rumors every year. Anyone know the % that match in their top 3 if they are FMG's?

I ranked 15 also because of the increasingly competitive nature of GS...with 10% more applicants (US and FMG) than last year, and the essentially unchanged number of categorical spots available compared to any of the previous 5 years. It's amazing how competitive a field can become within just 3-4 year...then the match rate of US grads for PGY-1 was around mid-90%...and recently it's dipped to low 80s...geez...I guess just hope for the best and pray... :oops:

I ranked 15 categorical programs (10 university, 5 community) and I am still quite nervous.

The harsh reality is that all the FMGs + US grads that went unmatched in last year's unprecedented match are re-applying this year. I am not surprised by the 10% increase in applications this year.

Things may get pretty messy between March 14-17.

I'll be more specific...
Applied to: 21 programs
Interview invite: 16
Actual interviews: 13
Ranking: 9

akg1974 said:
I ranked 15 categorical programs (10 university, 5 community) and I am still quite nervous.

The harsh reality is that all the FMGs + US grads that went unmatched in last year's unprecedented match are re-applying this year. I am not surprised by the 10% increase in applications this year.

Things may get pretty messy between March 14-17.

Actually, the 10% increase in applicants is incorrect. The number of applicants to GS actually dropped this year. However, each applicant is applying to more programs than in years past due to the changing nature of GS. So it's incorrect to state that the number of applicants has increased. It's just that applicants are applying to more programs so the number of applications to each program has increased. This may explained why PDs are saying that they're getting more applications.

txmhn said:
Actually, the 10% increase in applicants is incorrect. The number of applicants to GS actually dropped this year. However, each applicant is applying to more programs than in years past due to the changing nature of GS. So it's incorrect to state that the number of applicants has increased. It's just that applicants are applying to more programs so the number of applications to each program has increased. This may explained why PDs are saying that they're getting more applications.

EXACTLY!! This is so true...I know a bunch of people that are applying to GS and some other specialty...IM, Ortho, or some Surgical specialty. A lot of people applied but weren't even sure if they wanted to do GS. I really do think that applications went up because of people getting "check crazy" during the application process and checking off every program in the state.

Oh well, I'll guess we'll find out in 2 and 1/2 weeks.

dunno if these say much but here it is.

Applied: 33 university-based categorical gs
Invited: 16
Interviewed: 14
Ranked: 14
Matching: Priceless

:thumbup:

Applied to 34, 9 interview offers, went to all of them and am ranking all of them. I was hoping for a couple more interviews, but oh well. I'm not exactly the most competitive of applicants. :scared:

ranked 15...i decided that i would be happier matching at the 3 programs i was planning on not ranking than not matching at all.

Wow I have been gone a while on vacation.
I applied to 25
Had 23 offers
Went on 11 interviews
Ranked 11 places
I really liked all the places I went some more than others. It was tough to pick my top 3. I didnt exactly apply to the most competitive programs so I feel very comfy ranking 11. Hope everything works out well for everyone in 2.5 weeks :thumbup:

Applied to 15 programs and went on 11 interviews; ranked 'em all...Good luck to everyone on match day!

txmhn said:

Just curious where youo got your info.

Thanx

from the chairman at the medical college of ohio.