How many do you have/how many do you want to go to/what are you waiting for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arikansas

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought it might be interesting to know what everyone else is thinking.

I have 9 neuro interviews (Tufts/BU/Partners/NYU/Einstein/Stony Brook/Thomas Jefferson/Temple/Drexel) and 6 prelims (Tulane/Stony Brook/Lahey/St. Lukes/GW/Montefiore). I would like to go to 10 neuro interviews. I'm not really sure how many prelims I will go to, but ideally I would have one prelim for each neuro. I'm still waiting to hear from Cornell/Columbia, and I have about 12 other applications out there.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 21 places, I have gotten 16 offers, currently have 11 scheduled.
I applied to three prelims and have two scheduled.
I also would like to go to about 10 (maybe 12) interviews, several programs are still pending, so we'll see how it shakes down.

I applied to 8 places. Probably go on three and match at one.
.ND

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a 'magic#' of interviews you need to do to be a statistical lock for a match?

I applied to a ton of places in the northeast, and got some replies from places that I didn't think I'd get interviews at. I'm planning on going to about 10 of them, so I've scheduled pretty much til the end of december. If any dream places send an interview my way, looks like they'll just have to wait til january. I have like 7 prelims that I've scheduled as well... I don't know how I'm going to have the energy to put up a smile and be super-interested at all these places, but we'll see. I wonder if it reflects negatively if I'm constantly wandering to the coffee machine during an interview. Eh, at least some places are offering free hotel rooms.

is there a 'magic#' of interviews you need to do to be a statistical lock for a match?

Seems to be 5 for US grads (interviewed and ranked) based on the last set of NRMP data. My PD recommended only interviewing at 4-6. Apparently too many people wander in to their interview dazed and wondering what city they are in once January rolls around.

I applied to 15 programs and held off on applying to prelims. After hearing back from most of the categorical programs on my list, I decided to only interview at those programs. I plan on going to 8 interviews now, mostly in the northeast and midwest.

Maybe I misunderstood the NRMP data, but I thought that the data showed that the mean number of programs ranked for students who did not get into residency programs is 5, while the mean number for students who did get into residency programs is 8.
I applied to 23 neuro programs and have received responses from 13. I'll probably cancel 2 of my interviews and withdraw my application from another 5 b/c they're in a state I'm not interested in settling down in. Of the remaining 5 programs, I may cancel some of my current interviews if I get invitations from these more elusive programs. Either way, 11 is my limit for neuro interviews.
I only have 5 or 6 invitations for internal med programs (altho I applied to 28), but at least 4 neuro programs guarantee 1st year slots, so I'm not freaking out yet. As with neuro, if more favorable invitations come my way, I may bow out of some of my current interviews b/c I don't think that I can do more than 6 1st year interviews without going nuts-o.
I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Regarding US applicants:
If you go for medians, it is a median of 8 for those who match and a median of 2 for those who do not. If you look at the unmatched applicants, 83% have less than 5 contiguous ranks (only 2 people ranked more and did not match). These numbers are a bit misleading, however, since it does not specify, as far as I can tell, whether or not the non-neuro-matchers matched into another field, particularly a higher ranked one.