How many drafts did it take you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoJoeyMojo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
to complete your personal statement? Throughout these threads and at school, I 've heard about applicants preparing 15, 20 or more drafts of their personal statement. I'm just curious because I can't imagine writing that many drafts. I feel like the quality of my essays plateaus and even declines after writing a certain number of drafts. So... how many did you guys end up preparing before being satisfied?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're toying with several completely different ideas, then it would probably be beneficial to write many drafts. When I wrote mine, however, I knew generally how I wanted to write it so I really only wrote one draft then edited it a few times.

I'm like you. Whenever I wrote essays for english/lit classes, most of the time it was 1 draft and submit, but for my PS i did like 5-6 drafts. I did 2 drafts myself and then gave it to a bunch of people to read. It's good to try and get a variety of people to read it b/c you never know who's on the other end at the AdCom reading your essay. Compile the criticisms you get from your readers and re-write a final draft or two. It goes without saying that there better not be any grammatical errors in it.

I wrote one for my pre-med advisor that wasn't at all what I wanted, but I had a deadline. Then I thought about it for like 5 months, almost like I was writing it my head, and whenever I came up with something I thought was good, a phrase, sentence etc I scribbled it down somewhere. Then I finally wrote the actual essay in one shot and then only editited it for gramatical or vocab issues.