How many electives should one do before applying for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r01k08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an IMG and was wondering if it matters how many electives you will have done before starting your application for residency come september. I am hoping to do at least 4 electives. Does it make a difference if you have done many? could you use the electives that you have done after applying as a selling point during you interview for the program you are interested in? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am an IMG and was wondering if it matters how many electives you will have done before starting your application for residency come september. I am hoping to do at least 4 electives. Does it make a difference if you have done many? could you use the electives that you have done after applying as a selling point during you interview for the program you are interested in? thanks!

I don't think electives you choose are used as a "selling point". They are more for you to gain experience/knowledge in a field you are may be interest in. Good grades in core clerkships are much more important than the electives you choose. As long are your core clerkship grades are there, I don't think the number of electives you take means anything at all.

They tell us at our school to use July either to study for & take Step 2 or take an elective in something you are interested in specializing in but haven't been exposed to yet (i.e. pathology, optho, rads) in order to know if you like it. August, Sept and Oct should be used for away/audition rotations at the places you hope to apply to for residency or get strong a LOR connections. Pretty much anything after Nov that is "do whatever the heck you want" time.