how many electron transport chains in mitochondrion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

113zami

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many electron transpost chains are in one mitochondrion? I know there are more the one in bacterial cell but how many are there in a mitochondrion...is there a specific number we need to know or is it also just more than one...i couldn't find this anywhere so please help, thanks alot

Members don't see this ad.

what is this electron transport chain you speak of?? and what the heck if a prokaryote?? is that a type of plant or something...sorry for the ignorance...

what is this electron transport chain you speak of?? and what the heck if a prokaryote?? is that a type of plant or something...sorry for the ignorance...

Oxidative Phosphorylation. To answer your other question, a prokaryote is an organism (usually unicellular), cell-walls composed of peptidoglycan, circular DNA, and no membrane bound organelles. A common example are bacterium. All of what I just listed is the basis for classifying an organism a "prokaryote" A "eukaryote" is the other type of classification, and an example would be a typical animal cell. I hope this is clear.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm assuming you're joking, judging by your pre-dents profile: 4.0 post-bac, 22 TS, biochem/physiology research. There is no way you could have done all that without knowledge of these.

I thought the comment was also dripping in sarcasm, which makes DRHOYA's response even better.

goin back to the topic....

so your telling me that the mitochondria has only ONE electron transport chain??? i always visualized/thought it was full of these systems on the inner layer! kinda like surface proteins on the membrane.

does anyone know?

goin back to the topic....

so your telling me that the mitochondria has only ONE electron transport chain??? i always visualized/thought it was full of these systems on the inner layer! kinda like surface proteins on the membrane.

does anyone know?

there aremany ETC complexes embedded in the minner mito membrane per mitochondria (only found in eukaryotes)

but there is only one type of ETC, that might be where the confusion is coming from. its not like there is an ETC-alpha, ETC-beta, ETC-45, etc....just one type.