How many EM electives to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rendar5

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm almost done with 3rd year and am just starting to set up my electives. Still haven't decided if I want to get out of NYC for a few years or not, so I'm attempting to do a few of my electives in other cities just to get a feel for how I like different parts of the country. My main question is this: how many of these away electives should be EM and how many should be something else? At this point I'm only planning on one local and one "audition" elective.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you'll find people that have done anywhere from 1 EM elective to more than 3. I did only one home and one away EM elective, which was perfect. Unless you have a specific goal for doing more EM away rotations I'm not sure of the utility...My goal for my away elective was to experience a completely different type of EM practice. My home school's ED is in a large public hospital so I did an away in a private hospital. The comparison was very helpful as I made my rank list.

Good luck!

I am from a caribbean school and so I don't have a "home" school. I did 3 away electives in EM and honestly it was more than enough. I did all 3 in a row and was exhausted by the end of the 3rd one. Most people that I know who applied for EM and those who I met on the interview trail did one or two EM electives and then maybe an elective in peds EM or a specialty such as Ultrasound EM or Tox. So I think one home elective and 1 "audition" elective in EM is fine. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with what everyone else has said. Your home school and an away should be more than enough. That being said, I decided to do three because I wanted to try a couple different settings. I did a county, University, and a community program to see what they felt like. Between these I did two in my home state and one in another state. Good experience, but a lot of work.

What month is the best for an "audition" elective rotation?

If possible, try to get them done before September. That way you can use the SLOR in your ERAS application as soon as it goes live (mid-September if I remember correctly). You will start to get interviews in the beginning of October, as soon as your letters are all in.

Best "audition" electives are done in August, but September is ok. Preferably, you will want to get your EM SLORs and other LORs from EM attendings during september and maybe early october so that they will be uploaded into ERAS by mid-october at latest. Some programs look at your applications in september and october but many programs look at your full application after nov 1st when MSPE comes out. I got all of my interview invites after nov 1st (I got 2 on the morning of nov 1st).

Most people do one home and one audition elective. But it really depends on your circumstances, desires, and goals. I did one home rotation and 3 auditions. I know that sounds crazy but it was right for me.

I think that you'll find people that have done anywhere from 1 EM elective to more than 3. I did only one home and one away EM elective, which was perfect. Unless you have a specific goal for doing more EM away rotations I'm not sure of the utility...My goal for my away elective was to experience a completely different type of EM practice. My home school's ED is in a large public hospital so I did an away in a private hospital. The comparison was very helpful as I made my rank list.

Good luck!

:thumbup: I went from an academic home ED to a rotation that offered community and county-type work. Very useful!!!

one home
one away

More than enough.

Thanks for the responses guys (and gals):D

Aww hush :) You're making me feel old while you're still radiant and beautiful :love: