How many extra classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

David1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In general how many extra classes are good to take?

I'm a freshman now switching into Health and Exercise science major and have taken Chem 1 and 2 and 1 Biology course. In addition to calc, orgo 1&2, physics 1&2 and genetics I know it would be good to take some extra courses.

This is what I had planned:
Bio of the Eukaryotic cell
Microbiology
Microanatomy & Lab techniques (Bio of the Euk Cell is a pre-req)
Biochemistry

However I was thinking about taking one less. I would just not take "Microanatomy & Lab techniques" but it (along with euk and microbio) would give me the bio minor. I definitely think taking biochemistry would be good before applying to med school though so I don't want to drop that.

Also, it's rough getting all of these in + other classes before the end of junior year but I was wondering what you guys thought about taking calculus + physics 1 + Orgo 1 + HES class. Do you think that might be too much to get A's and I should replace physics with another HES class or just do all those together? I've gotten all A's so far but want to make sure I can get high grades when taking weeding out courses like orgo.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. For some reason the thread didn't seem to show after the first post.

I usually overloaded my schedule just to challenge myself. I hate having free time, I work best with my back up against the wall. Sure it was difficult, but it was rewarding. You should do the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually overloaded my schedule just to challenge myself. I hate having free time, I work best with my back up against the wall. Sure it was difficult, but it was rewarding. You should do the same.

Well, although I never have any because I'm always doing work, I like free time :D I don't see how someone could hate it unless you include recreational activities in your schedule

but anyway...any other responses still appreciated

^^I agree, but don't encourage it. For me also, I find that I perform better with my back against the wall. I took 17 hrs last sem and made a 4.0 and 18 this sem w (micro,neuro,physics, orgo, 2 labs,and econ) and will again prob make a 4.0. I still have time to work out and relax on weekends.

Plus, taking a heavy load looks very good and is to your advantage. Med schools want to see that you can handle a big load. With that being said, I dont encourage it if you think you'll start getting B's and C's but your schedule seems very doable. good luck!

Do you work? How much? Can you study at work? Can you take anything over the summer?

If biochem is something you might like go for it. A few med schools require it. Me, not so much. The school I wanted doesn't need it and I wouldn't have enjoyed it.

What is "microanatomy" anyway? There is really no reason to stress out over getting a bio minor or not. I can't imagine it helping you any and it's not like it is going to make you unique since about 70 percent of applicants have that as a major lol. (just guessing on the numbers, but you get my point). If you end up taking the required classes anyway, sure get it. But I don't think I would take extra courses JUST to get a bio minor.

^^I agree, but don't encourage it. For me also, I find that I perform better with my back against the wall. I took 17 hrs last sem and made a 4.0 and 18 this sem w (micro,neuro,physics, orgo, 2 labs,and econ) and will again prob make a 4.0. I still have time to work out and relax on weekends.

Plus, taking a heavy load looks very good and is to your advantage. Med schools want to see that you can handle a big load. With that being said, I dont encourage it if you think you'll start getting B's and C's but your schedule seems very doable. good luck!

Wow that's a heavy schedule, congrats.

I don't know if it's my teachers (I have the known hardest bio teacher....60% drop out rate) or if I'm just a slow worker but right now I'm taking pre-calc (long story), spanish, chem 1, bio, and psychology. It's 18 units/hours and I'm getting A's but it sucks...I haven't gone out in weeks and basically all I do is eat, sleep, study, go to class, workout, repeat..(with the occasional time for email/sdn). Again, not sure if that's just me but I was really hoping college would allow some socializing :D

At the same time I definitely want to make sure I look like a good applicant and maybe calc, orgo, and 2 HES classes will look too easy. I'd like to do physics, orgo, and 2 HES courses but I need calc for physics and taking it over the summer would take time and money I don't necessarily have and I don't know how great it would look for med schools either.

One of the prof's on the Medical Careers Advisory committee said calc, physics, orgo and another class might be rough saying " calculus, physics and orgo I is quite a heavy course
load for a single semester. Orgo is a linchpin course for medical
school, so it's important that you do well in that course. It's also
quite study intensive, requiring 25-30 hours a week for most student to
do well. While bio majors take organic in their sophomore year, many
defer physics until 2nd semester of their junior year or their senior year."

while another prof said it was doable and med school will be harder so I'll have to get used to it. I was also planning on joining a frat next semester and I've heard pledging itself is like having another course/job :\

Do you work? How much? Can you study at work? Can you take anything over the summer?

If biochem is something you might like go for it. A few med schools require it. Me, not so much. The school I wanted doesn't need it and I wouldn't have enjoyed it.

What is "microanatomy" anyway? There is really no reason to stress out over getting a bio minor or not. I can't imagine it helping you any and it's not like it is going to make you unique since about 70 percent of applicants have that as a major lol. (just guessing on the numbers, but you get my point). If you end up taking the required classes anyway, sure get it. But I don't think I would take extra courses JUST to get a bio minor.

Yea I was kind of thinking that about the minor. Microanatomy was suggested by one of the dr.'s here on our "medical careers advisory committee".

I don't currently work but I plan to work this summer and I'm hoping to get a job tutoring next semester but I can't be sure about that.

For biochem, I've just heard it's good to see that before med school and like you said some actually require it. My dentist suggested microbiology and biochem.