How many future med students are actually SDNer's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrappydawg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is a question, I've pondered a bit.

I know alot of medical students and premeds, and out of my circle only a handful actually know of/are members on/post on SDN.

is this the same with a lot of your friends? or are there some places where everyone is connected to SDN? Or do I happen to be one of those who have perused a bunch and only now am starting to post?

Or the main thing...I am I just looking for reasons to procrastinate on writing my thesis?

hmmmmmm :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not on SDN, you're not really a premed. :D

I only know of a couple classmates who even BROWSE these forums. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
when I was an undergrad I never visited because I didn't know about it and even if I did I probably would have been too busy. Now I visit often due to all the down time at my job. It keeps me from going crazy.

I know only a few other pre-med students and none of them had ever heard of SDN! I was amazed and even when I tried to encourage them to check it out they still didn't. Maybe I should be like them and study.....nah screw that, I would rather check out what everyone else has to say.

jjmack said:
when I was an undergrad I never visited because I didn't know about it and even if I did I probably would have been too busy. Now I visit often due to all the down time at my job. It keeps me from going crazy.

Same here, but whether it's keeping me from going crazy I don't know. I almost feel too prepared for med school ;)

Thinking back, I remember people used ot tell me to go on this site and i thought it was lame. I mean, what can you possibly learn from a forum full of premed nerds right?

In retrospect, I dont know how I coudlve possibly accomplished this process without SDN. SDN FO' LIFE BOY!!!!

honsano said:
I know only a few other pre-med students and none of them had ever heard of SDN! I was amazed and even when I tried to encourage them to check it out they still didn't. Maybe I should be like them and study.....nah screw that, I would rather check out what everyone else has to say.

I second that :thumbup:

maybe a third?

i remember at the davis second look...there are people that are active posters, and some that are lurkers...like med students who log on to see what people are saying about the school and to dispell any myths about it...

and there were a couple that just knew nothing about it.

there were also some that knew about the interview feedbacks but did not the extensive breakdown of the many forums we have on this site.

I at least know that none of them from my school browse The Lounge by the complete lack of support for all of my Georgia Tech basketball threads. :(

Honestly, SDN has just EXPLODED over the past couple years. There's increasing membership and exposure with time, and I'm finding that knowledge of and participation in this site is increasing expontentially. That said, not so many people in my class or the one ahead of me have used or continue to use SDN. However, I expect that number to increase with time.

During my experiences interviewing applicants at Penn, alot of them knew who I was from me on here. One even said, "Wow, you're really famous" :laugh: But seriously, I know of one group of applicants who were talking about SDN one day. When one applicant didn't know what SDN was, the general response from the group was, "Have you been living under a rock?" :D Of course, the proportion of lurkers-to-posters has been about 3:1, but I think it's helping alot of people and you never know who you might run into... I mean heck, my first student interview as an interviewer was with a SDN poster! I had no idea!

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN gave me the best of both worlds...not being in school this year, I got away from some of the hype and competition but missed out on learning more about the process through classmates. But SDN filled in the gaps and more.

To answer the OP, none of my friends applying to med school know of SDN, but I've answered a bunch of their questions based on info I've picked up here. So they're only one degree away. SDN's impact is probably a lot bigger than the number of people lurking/posting -- think viral transmission style...

People brought up SDN on the interview trail. At first they seemed sort of embarrassed about it, like "Hey, what the dean just said reminded me of this post on... ... uh, nevermind."

And then, at Tufts, the person running the show said something to the effect of, "And please, after today go back and gossip about us on SDN so we can collect feedback."

Thumbs up to technology. Imagine sweating through this process by yourself if the internet wasn't available (especially for non trads and people out of college)?

Mistress S is in my biochem class. Unfortunately so are 300 other pre-health students so I have no idea what she looks like.

Super Rob said:
People brought up SDN on the interview trail. At first they seemed sort of embarrassed about it, like "Hey, what the dean just said reminded me of this post on... ... uh, nevermind."

And then, at Tufts, the person running the show said something to the effect of, "And please, after today go back and gossip about us on SDN so we can collect feedback."

Thumbs up to technology. Imagine sweating through this process by yourself if the internet wasn't available (especially for non trads and people out of college)?

Yeah Ive heard of administrators acknowledging SDN too.

I don't know anybody who goes on SDN. I actually found it just by chance when I was running a search for a pre-med message board to get some advice. I kept finding small user groups and stuff that nobody ever used and finally I found this place. I knew there had to be someplace that annoying pre-meds like me could go to be with other annoying pre-meds, and I'm so happy I finally found it! :love:

Even two or three years ago, each pre-allo thread would get a max of a hundred views. Now, even ludicrous threads reach views into the thousands. sdn has linked the pre-med community, and I think eventually pre-med offices will promote the knowledge of www.studentdoctor.net available to all their students (some already do). I think a huge proportion of pre-meds are members, while an even greater number are lurkers.

Last year, I think about half or more of the people interviewing at Iowa for ophthalmology browse SDN. I'm on the selection committee this year, so you can bet that selection committee members browse this site. ;)

Also, with my new project of archiving morning rounds at the University of Iowa, more faculty, students, and residents will be viewing the ophthalmology forum.

http://webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/eyeforum/

My impression is that a lot of med students/residents/faculty like to lurk (read, but they don't post).

One really important thing is that faculty and/or staff definately read the interview feedbacks. Even if they don't have time to browse through the forum posts, it's really important info to them to see how they're selling themselves to the applicants.

i really hope you're kidding. it's just website. a useful one, but still just a website.

to answer the original question, my guess would be about 10-15%. at more prestigious institutions, it's probably a bit higher, and at the regular state schools it's probably lower.

exmike said:
In retrospect, I dont know how I coudlve possibly accomplished this process without SDN. SDN FO' LIFE BOY!!!!

I think there are more people on SDN in your classes but they don't want to let you know. That way they can feel at ease about what they post on SDN and still feel like their identity is kept hidden.

When I was the president of the pre-med society at my undergrad school, I used to post on the bulletin board I maintained - the SDN web page address and posts I felt would be helpful to the pre-meds at that particular time, such as MCAT stuff or secondary stuff. People I didn't know, knew me because my name is my SDN name.

I do know that admits have people that report back to them what is being said about their school. I was told they do it, not to spy, but to make their school better. They said applicants won't be totally honest with them, but will pour their hearts out here.

During one interview day, they asked how many of us had visited SDN. :D

The crazy thing is that only two or three of us raised our hands, but they had the website link on their admissions website encouraging applicants to use SDN as a resource. I thought it was strange that people wouldn't use that information especially once they received an interview invite. Were people lying for some strange reason? Did people not bother to review the website and links as preparation for their interview? Or did they read the site but felt confident they didn't need to look at outside websites even if recommended? :confused:

There's such a strange stigma we grew up with about the Internet. Like it's a place for losers or weirdos to congregate and do weird stuff. Like, who would waste their time posting on a website? Don't you have something better to do? I think that pervades people's attidues about SDN, Internet Chat, etc... From the conversations I've had, it explains why we have so many more lurkers than we do posters.

I figure that will be changing more as the next generation grows up.

I'm the one that usually tells them about it, most pre meds I talk to are much less informed. :D

The people whom I've told about SDN generally don't seem interested. It's like they have a "I have better things to do" attitude (like study).

exmike said:
Thinking back, I remember people used ot tell me to go on this site and i thought it was lame. I mean, what can you possibly learn from a forum full of premed nerds right?

Yea...as soon as I found out about this site...(6-7 months back) ....i dumped my stupid pre-med advisor....i've learned more on this site that I ever could have reading "how to get in med school" books

WstSdDesi said:
Yea...as soon as I found out about this site...(6-7 months back) ....i dumped my stupid pre-med advisor....i've learned more on this site that I ever could have reading "how to get in med school" books

exactly. this site is invaluable...for students with premed advisors that dont know anything or for nontrads that have been out of school...or for any premed that just has a question they want answered....

whoever said 10-15% is lowballing the membership on this site.

Granted, I have been out of school for a few years, but I have worked with some people trying to get into med school (about 20) and they look at me like I'm crazy when I mention SDN.....I have also met several people who have gotten in off waitlists in years past but none of them have been on (or posted) SDN......I would say 15-20% AT LEAST lurk and only 5-10% of all applicants actually post....

jlee9531 said:
exactly. this site is invaluable...for students with premed advisors that dont know anything or for nontrads that have been out of school...or for any premed that just has a question they want answered....

whoever said 10-15% is lowballing the membership on this site.

Just because it is a valubale resource, doesn't mean that it is widely used...

I know that virtually everyone that I've mentioned SDN to has been pretty disinterested. Its too bad for them, because they're definitely missing out.

You'll think I'm making this next part up, but I'm not:
A bunch of us were studying for a Chem exam this afternoon. Rather than study, we ended up talking about the MCAT for a while. One person (who I'd previously mentioned SDN too) announced to the group that he wasn't too worried about the MCAT because "you only need to score double digits to get into an average med school." (Yes, he really meant 10+)

When I finally realized that he wasn't kidding, he about **** his pants :eek: when I clued him in to the actual score ranges!

Neuronix said:
Honestly, SDN has just EXPLODED over the past couple years. There's increasing membership and exposure with time, and I'm finding that knowledge of and participation in this site is increasing expontentially. That said, not so many people in my class or the one ahead of me have used or continue to use SDN. However, I expect that number to increase with time.

During my experiences interviewing applicants at Penn, alot of them knew who I was from me on here. One even said, "Wow, you're really famous" :laugh: But seriously, I know of one group of applicants who were talking about SDN one day. When one applicant didn't know what SDN was, the general response from the group was, "Have you been living under a rock?" :D Of course, the proportion of lurkers-to-posters has been about 3:1, but I think it's helping alot of people and you never know who you might run into... I mean heck, my first student interview as an interviewer was with a SDN poster! I had no idea!

The Lurker thing is true, I lurked on SDN for three to four months before I decided to register. So personally I'm sure there are more lurkers than posters. - People who are just checking things out.

uh...whoops 7 is a big size..... :smuggrin:

maybe its a regional thing...

my friends from all the different UCs tell me sdn is pretty well known at their schools.

Neuronix said:
There's such a strange stigma we grew up with about the Internet. Like it's a place for losers or weirdos to congregate and do weird stuff. Like, who would waste their time posting on a website? Don't you have something better to do? I think that pervades people's attidues about SDN, Internet Chat, etc...
:laugh: I've always felt that SDN is my guilty pleasure. On average, I spend more than 6 hours browsing through different threads. Even when I'm at work, I leave the window open, like checking a few more threads when I'm running gel, RT-PCR, or even flow cytometry. GOSH, my friends (who warned me of SDN) were right. SDN is highly addictive. Once you start, you can't stop. But on the other hand, I do feel SDN helps me a lot on med school application. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

i don't know if this was in response to what i wrote, but i certainly didn't imply any of the stuff you wrote. my point is that some people turn SDN into more than what it is, a very good resource and discussion forum. what they turn it into is beyond me, but when people talk about having "sdn withdrawal" (yes, i've seen that written before, and so have ya'll) that worries me a bit.

Neuronix said:
There's such a strange stigma we grew up with about the Internet. Like it's a place for losers or weirdos to congregate and do weird stuff. Like, who would waste their time posting on a website? Don't you have something better to do? I think that pervades people's attidues about SDN, Internet Chat, etc... From the conversations I've had, it explains why we have so many more lurkers than we do posters.

Well, back when I was in school (that would be over a year back :D )....I didn't know SDN existed, going even further back when I was premed, I don't think SDN was as big as it is now, and it never occurred to me I could find an online community of premeds (not that my school was short on them!).

I really wished I had discovered SDN back then, it might have convinced me to stick with the premed curricula, but anyway live and learn.

I doubt any of my premed friends would have gone onto SDN. Some b/c they are not "geeky" enough, i.e back in the late 90's, venturing into forums were rare. The ones who did did it for fun, not for academic reasons. In a school setting where there are so many premeds, I just think people didn't feel the need to go online to interact with other premeds. But I have come to realize this place contains a treasure trove of valuable information and feedback.

Long live SDN! :clap:

I think SDN is a very important tool for lots of people. If i hadn't been on SDN, I wouldn't have know that AMCAS was messing up 1000's of applicants the year it went online for the first time. I would have assumed it was just me and not known what to do.

SDN ROCKS
musik29.gif
musik01.gif
musik15.gif

I for one feel so blessed to have found SDN. There are so many things I would have no clue about if I had not lurked around here for a while. It has completley changed my whole plan of how I am going to go about getting into medical school.... Plus it is great to know that I am not alone in all the stress..... :D

Well, I for one, found out about SDN from an administrator at one school I interviewed.

I found SDN while searching for "some website where you can found out what questions people were asked at their interviews" that I was told about. Now we all know SDN is much more than that (aka - forums!), and the interview section of the site really did help clam my nerves and make me feel like I knew what I was getting into (so thanks to everyone who posted). I've given a few people the link to this site, but who knows if they'll find out what they're missing! :D

once you go SDN, you will never go back

Neuronix said:

I received the same criticism from my colleagues. They are thinking differently now. My presence on SDN is:

1) Free promotion for my previous training programs.
2) Advocacy for my current residency training program.
3) An opportunity to encourage students to consider and learn more about ophthalmology.

:thumbup:

I found out about SDN via the Princeton Review medical forums. And yeah, most of the pre-meds that I've met at my school haven't even heard of SDN.

There's such a wealth of advice on this site that it gives me more of a "competitive edge" than the pre-meds who are "too good for computers." Their loss.

Dallenoff said:
I found out about SDN via the Princeton Review medical forums. And yeah, most of the pre-meds that I've met at my school haven't even heard of SDN.

There's such a wealth of advice on this site that it gives me more of a "competitive edge" than the pre-meds who are "too good for computers." Their loss.

I was shocked at the number of karma points you had, then I scrolled over them and it said it was your avatar. I laughed and laughed. you are too funny :laugh:

In fact...if you go to many of the med school websites...under the links section....SDN is often listed as a resource.....some new "get into medschool" books also mention SDN as a resource...Until the start of my senior year....i didnt even hear of SDN.....maybe SDN wasn't well know...but in 5 years...i'm sure its going to be the standard for pre-meds to get information

The lurking thing is true as well....I lurked around 2 months before my first post.....

our premed head advisor almost always includes the studentdoctor link at the end of her emails. And i just noticed it :D, I found SDN through search too.