How many gap years did you take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ariax

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm feeling a little bummed about having to take 2 gap years prior to med school. I ideally would have liked to do only one gap year (so applying after graduation) but after I realized what a screw up I've been I realize I'm not ready to apply next cycle so I will be applying in June 2017.

How many years did you all take after you bachelors to start medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Eleven. I took eleven gap years. (Not technically after I finished my bachelors, but still.)

Reactions: 1 user
Haha career-changers are a bit different. I was pre-med since like freshman year but have messed up many times over so I'm paying the price now

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just trying to give you a bit of perspective. A couple of years is nothing to be upset about in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: 4 users
I have a friend who took like 6. Currently at UVM! Med schools love people who have real world experience. Plus most of the people I know who did gap years say looking back it was some of the best years in their life because they got to have a lot of freedom/experience and a SOCIAL LIFE in their early 20s before selling their soul to medicine. So kudos to you for being mature enough to take an extra year or two. More pre-meds could probably use a bit of that haha.

I took 3 and I'm really happy I did. First of all you get some time to really enjoy life outside of school during your 20s. I moved to an awesome city, got a bunch of roommates, made great friends and a SO. Secondly I also feel like I relate more to the residents/attendings than the kids fresh out of undergrad.

2, though I wasn't planning on the 2nd one.

I took three gap years, and I'm thankful that I did.

3, suuuuper happy I took the time off. It's also crazy how some time working a full time job and living in the real world adds to your maturity and experience, which helped me a lot on interviews.

2 and it's been the best decision. Don't be upset OP, just embrace it. Live.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't taken any and going into med school straight. But like at all the interviews I've been at so far, around 70% of people have taken at least one gap year! It's definitely the norm now and kinda interesting.

I applied while finishing up my degree and did not get in so I took a gap year, reapplied, and now I am accepted and starting next year

2. Got a masters degree, lived on my own, enjoyed time with family and friends, got engaged.

Life is good. Enjoy it, you don't stop living just because you aren't in medical school just yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1.5.. And it's the best decision I've ever made! living in the "real world" teaches you so much about yourself and life that I'm glad I have that perspective before beginning med school

Life is good. Enjoy it, you don't stop living just because you aren't in medical school just yet.
^This. I think this sums up how a gap year should be. It also is advice that I think a lot of pre-meds don't really consider.

But to answer OP's question, I have taken 2 gap years. One to get a masters and the 2nd to work a clinical job.

I took 2 gap years, I'm on my second one now. One to live abroad and another to just enjoy life and see some old friends before I move again. Best decision I ever made! Just take advantage of these years to do something you've always wanted to try, build up old friendships, and just enjoy being in your 20s.

I'll probably end up taking 3-4. I really want to get a Masters in at some point and make some money. Most importantly, my parents are also pretty old, so this might be my last chance to spend extended quality time with them before selling my soul to a medical career.

3 for me and I feel like I've done a lot better with my apps this year due to the time off to mature and acquire more experience in medicine. Without the time off I don't think I would have been very competitive as far as admissions are concerned.

7! And I'm not someone who had a career per se... I've spent the last 7 years working in all sorts of different jobs: worked as a patient educator in an outpatient clinic, scribed for a year, non-profit case management for a hot second, and most recently, have been working in clinical research where I've taken on a lot of responsibility and have gotten a few pubs. You'd be surprised what you can do in a gap year (or two!).

Try not to think of this as just a waiting period between college and med school. Try to get some diverse and interesting experiences so that when you do apply, you'll have some cool stories to tell.

Don't worry about it... just don't be sulking during your gap year(s).

I personally did 4 ish... 1 for a grad program, 3 for an alternative hobby/career.