How many hours a day are you in Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Divineimpetus

Trucker's Atlas
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On average, how many hours a day are you in dental school just for lecture/lab?

Members don't see this ad.

Divineimpetus said:
On average, how many hours a day are you in dental school just for lecture/lab?

8 AM - 5 PM

8am-5pm. Then come back and catch up on lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
KY2007 said:
8am-5pm. Then come back and catch up on lab.

Well, med school then is much easier than dental school. I mean med students don't spend as much time as dental students. Only graduate students in science would spend such amount of time in school.

Way too much time. Dental school sucks.

8 AM to 5 PM for class and actual lab work. But today it's 7:20 and I just got home.

It all depends ... this week i need to practice packing amalgams, crown preps, provisionals, wax my articulator into occlusion, practice maxillary preps and whatever else comes up. So it'll be 8-7 pretty much every day this week.

For us there is no average. Somedays we go 8am to 5pm or later. Other days 8am-9am and then to the golf course, I mean studying...

No doubt dental sch(didactic portion) sucks.
could anyone answer why at ucla, med students only learn 80% of what we learn in gross anatomy?
But you getta see the long run.
2 yrs of hell, and life long of joy.
Med sch on the other hand, 4 yrs of "easyness" and way too many yrs of residencies and who knows what=unlimited yrs of "easyness".

zidanereal2003 said:
Well, med school then is much easier than dental school. I mean med students don't spend as much time as dental students. Only graduate students in science would spend such amount of time in school.

I wouldn't call med school easy. We are gonna have a horde of MDs swarming in here hoopin N hollerin. :scared:

No kidding. The last thing we want is another MD vs DDS thread.

ecdoesit said:
No doubt dental sch(didactic portion) sucks.

But you also talk about how you get endless hours of lectures for your money... So if it sucks, then what is the value?? :confused:

USC schedule...

M-W-F -- 4 hour PBL session (I put 4-5 hours of study time between meetings on my own time)

W - 4 hours lab

This is for the first 2 trimesters. Days will get longer starting this summer.

Pretty much scheduled from 8-5pm except on friday, either we're on OD (oral diagnosis) block until 5 or we can go home at 1pm. However, we have class at noon and some students assist from 1-5 by choice.

CUdental007

I never mean i like 8-5 lecture.
This is what we get for being cheap.
Your school is pretty cool. I love your lifestyle.
Again to reinforce my point,
2 yrs of hell. :thumbdown:
I dont mind having 100K less debt than you do.
So need to work less to pay off my loan. (assuming I find a job, right? hehe)
I m not even going to go to talk about 2nd year.
EC
1 midterm down, 7 to go.

ShawnOne said:
But you also talk about how you get endless hours of lectures for your money... So if it sucks, then what is the value?? :confused:

USC schedule...

M-W-F -- 4 hour PBL session (I put 4-5 hours of study time between meetings on my own time)

W - 4 hours lab

Members don't see this ad :)
ShawnOne said:

USC schedule...

W - 4 hours lab

That sound pretty nice. Oh well, 9-5 for me probably next year, I really plan on getting my money out of it.

Do you ever get used to doing 9-12 hour days? How long of a break do you get for lunch and between classes?

Hehe, of cos, 1 hr lunch break.
Some DDS/MS student takes courses during lunch time.
(focus on some, I m one of the exception)
Well, it aint that bad, considering we started an experimental "optional" anatomy saturday session, which will cover 10% of the test material! Then, I will whine.
Anyone worse than my case?

Divineimpetus said:
Do you ever get used to doing 9-12 hour days? How long of a break do you get for lunch and between classes?

Get used to the long hours......it never stops!

;) ;)

kato999 said:
For us there is no average. Somedays we go 8am to 5pm or later. Other days 8am-9am and then to the golf course, I mean studying...

Bingo. Some weeks we are here nonstop. Last week, we had Monday afternoon off, all day Tuesday off, and most of Wednesday off.

Divineimpetus said:
I average 10-11 hours a day at school this semester. Class ends between 2:00 and 4:00, but after that I go down to lab until 6:30 or so to stay on top of the five different projects* I'm working on at any given time.

* No, that's not an exaggeration. Right now it's 1) an RPD framework, 2) a Hawley ortho retainer, 3) a complete set of immediate dentures (due tomorrow!), 4) RCT on #9, 5) 3-unit bridge for #19-21 (19 FGC, 20/21 PFM). Yee-haw.

how many hours you put in at IUSD depends on what semester/year you are in.

last semester: it would be easier to say how many hours i was home rather than school. LOL. answer is not much. i live in the library and busted my ass.

this semster is a totally different story. basically MWTHF 8-4 or 5. tue 2-4 or 5.
if i have work then i stay in the lab till 6. fortunately, i havent needed to stay in the lab much this semester. i do stay at the library 2 nights to get ready for the exams.

ShawnOne said:
True true...

BTW. we have a single midterm, yes only one. :p

And your California Board pass rate was less than 65% as I understand. 100 K of debt and you cannot get a dental license.... shameful!

Moreover, USC ranked next to last on Part Two of National Boards.

But, you are doing better on Part I - aren't you?

Fullosseousflap said:
And your California Board pass rate was less than 65% as I understand. 100 K of debt and you cannot get a dental license.... shameful!

Moreover, USC ranked next to last on Part Two of National Boards.

But, you are doing better on Part I - aren't you?

I had posted a message from our dean a few months ago regarding part 1.

"the 100% PBL Class of 2006 ranked in the 5th Quintile on Part 1 of the National Boards. The academic performance of our PBL dental students places USC within the top 10 schools in the nation by this metric (Office of Outcomes Assessment, October 2004)."

During the five years of the "pilot" PBL program at USC (12 pilot students from 97-03), PBL students scored in the 5th quintile every year, while the traditional students scored in the 1st quintile from 1991-1998.

I have heard part 2 scores have been nothing to brag about. I have also heard the administration is trying to address the issue. The 4th years I have spoken with said they felt good about the test (in Dec). We'll see when the scores are in.

Regarding Cali boards: Obtaining a license should not be an issue since Cali will begin recognizing the WREB soon (havent you heard?!). But in general, the California board was known to be difficult. Do you know the pass rate for non USC students? (other Cali schools or east coast students) Please provide some comparisons and sources.

Is this for true or "under discussion?" That would be so awesome seeing as that's where I'd like to wind up practicing :)

Beachluvr

Regarding Cali boards: Obtaining a license should not be an issue since Cali will begin recognizing the WREB soon (havent you heard?!). But in general, the California board was known to be difficult. Do you know the pass rate for non USC students? (other Cali schools or east coast students) Please provide some comparisons and sources.

ShawnOne said:

"the 100% PBL Class of 2006 ranked in the 5th Quintile on Part 1 of the National Boards. The academic performance of our PBL dental students places USC within the top 10 schools in the nation by this metric (Office of Outcomes Assessment, October 2004)."

During the five years of the "pilot" PBL program at USC (12 pilot students from 97-03), PBL students scored in the 5th quintile every year, while the traditional students scored in the 1st quintile from 1991-1998.

I have heard part 2 scores have been nothing to brag about. I have also heard the administration is trying to address the issue. The 4th years I have spoken with said they felt good about the test (in Dec). We'll see when the scores are in.

ShawnOne said:

USC used to be one of the top clinical schools in the world. No longer.

When I was a student there (yes I graduated from USC and passed the California Board - the first time) 95+% of students passed the California Board the first time. We had very few students held back from taking the exam. USC is a mess now because of Slavkin, Shuler and PBL.

Who cares about the NDBE I if you cannot clean, root canal, drill or extract teeth. Some of the recent USC graduates finish up there with having prepped only a couple of crowns and done a few restorations. No wonder you guys cannot pass your competancies or pass the California Board.

The California Deans realizing their students were not passing their clinical licensing exams. And knowing that they were going to be held accountable for charging their students alot of money and not delivering a dental license decided instead of improving their schools they would change the measuring stick. I doubt the result from the Western Regional Exam will be much different for USC PBL grads.

However, why don't the California Deans publically release their school's pass rates? Answer: they don't want to be held accountable.

Now, they want to get rid of clinical exams entirely and mandate more school - hence more tuition for them to squander.

Dentistry, my colleague, is more than taking a test on anatomy and biochemistry!

ItsGavinC said:
Bingo. Some weeks we are here nonstop. Last week, we had Monday afternoon off, all day Tuesday off, and most of Wednesday off.

Wow gav, your little boy is really beginning to look like you!