How many hours a day of lecture at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blrnystn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. my school says 3 but often more like 4 or even 5.

Members don't see this ad.

A usual day:
9-11:30
1-3:30

5 Hours

But the occasional day
8-12
1-5

8 Hours

Members don't see this ad :)
4 hours of lecture every afternoon (labs are 2-4 hours a couple mornings a week).

9-11 or 12 for lecture every day
2 days of the week we have PBL for 2 hours in the afternoon
2 days of the week we have fluff course lectures for 1-2 hours in the afternoon
1 day of the week we have afternoons off

Per day it was extremely variable, but I was in about 25-30 hours per week last year (my second year).

Jesus ****ing Christ I don't know how you guys sit through 5+ hours of lectures every day, I pity you I really do.

We have lecture 8am-12pm every day and only very occassionally get anything in the afternoon.

1-3hrs per day

our longest day has 3 hours of lecture

First year, we only have ~9 hours of lecture per week. Monday is our longest lecture day (3 hours) and that kills me. We spend ~11 hours each week in our small groups, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jesus ****ing Christ I don't know how you guys sit through 5+ hours of lectures every day, I pity you I really do.

We have lecture 8am-12pm every day and only very occassionally get anything in the afternoon.

la meme chose ici :thumbup:

Lecture/Lab 8-5 every day. (Except Fridays - we're done at 3pm for the Sabbath! Woo...)

lecture 8-12p
labs, small groups or nothing 1-5p depending on the day.

Usually there's only one scheduled lab in the afternoon per week, an occasional small group (~ 1x month) and 1-2 staff anatomy demos of 30 mins each. The rest of the time you budget for yourself.

It's not a bad schedule, really.

3 hours of lecture? Is this not including any small group/labs?

We usually have 6-7 hours of lecture every day except Tuesdays/Thursdays this year it is about 2-3 hours plus we have PD where that will be two hours at the hospital, clinical skills center, or doing an assignment at home.

On the plus side, all lectures are streamed.

we have 6 hours of lecture everyday as well plus 1 hour of anatomy lab. 1 day a week we go into the community and that's 4 hours at night.

Lecture/Lab 8-5 every day. (Except Fridays - we're done at 3pm for the Sabbath! Woo...)

That sounds like torture. We have 4hrs/day (I'm at the same school as meister, I believe). Which is about perfect because I only have about a 3.5 hr tolerance for listening to lectures, :laugh:.

8 -9 hrs every day, back when I was doing basic science. Usually got out an hour early on fridays (at 4pm instead of 5pm.) Could watch lectures from home though via streaming-- 2x for the win.

Tests every 2 weeks. No summer break.

And worth every second. :)

We have 2 hours of lecture 4 days a week. Then another 2 hours of small group 4 days a week. Essentially 8-12 Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri. The rest is all independent or whatever other courses/things you might be doing.

100% agree. I couldn't deal with more than 2-3 straight hours in undergrad, so what would make me think I could deal with 5+ in a day?

Like at this guy's school? Whoa.

We have 2 hours of lecture 4 days a week. Then another 2 hours of small group 4 days a week. Essentially 8-12 Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri. The rest is all independent or whatever other courses/things you might be doing.

And this is why I'm strongly considering going to Case this fall. :thumbup:

dude where you go is my ugrad alma mater! that's a great schedule and an excellent med school.

4 hours a day

Class M-F 8am-12pm

We had the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) come to our school during the fall semester this year. During their visit they told our Dean's office that we spend too much time in the lecture hall. So while some M.D. schools may be scheduling class 4 hours per day (or more), they will soon change their ways and have less lecture hours.

My understanding is that the LCME wants us participating in more small group study (PBL I suppose).